• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEWARE store closing sales ie: Circuit City

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

Just saw something on the local news this morning where they went to one of the closing Circuit City stores and found several items "on clearance" with higher price tags placed over top of the older cheaper ones. They also priced a few items then went across town to one that wasn't closing and the items were SIGNIGFICANTLY less expensive at the store that WAS NOT closing. IE: a Samsung HDTV was $1799 at the closing store but $1499 at the one that was not closing. They said that this is common practice. When they contacted Circuit City they said that the inventory was now owned by a clearance house and they have no control over it.

I suppose Circuit City's excuse could be valid, but it still comes out, at the least, as another stain on their already-tarnished reputation. Tough to survive bankruptcy when you continue to screw the people you need to survive.

It's not specific to CC, it happens at any store that closes and the sell-off is outsourced to a liquidation company. They put items back to regular prices first then start discounting them.

From another perspective i worked for a grocery chain that began sales negotiations. As soon as this happened the prices skyrocketed throughout the store. It was as if the corporation was bleeding its customer base dry for what they could for as long as they could.

I had a cousin who owned an odd's and ends store in a small town.. He'd buy noname items, such as childrens toys like baby dolls, toy strollers, wagons, Decorative lamps, etc.. Each holiday season he'd fill the store with alot of things that made cheap, easy gifts to give. He'd sell alot of stuff, but have alot of stuff left over..

The day after christmas he'd mark alot of things up a couple of dollars using an orange price tag. He'd hang a big sign about "Post Christmas Sell Off" over the displays. Everything would be gone by the end of the next week.

Back