• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phase-change questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JMScomp

Registered
Alrighty, I don't want to waste anybody's time so I'll get right to it! I have two question regarding phase-change cooling systems:
1. Are there any commercially made phase-change units? If so then please post links.
2. Now this one is going to sound weird, but does Arctic Silver 5 freeze when used in a phase-change system?

Thanks

1. Yes. One place is Frozencpu. There are also several builders around that can help you out.
2. Use Ceramique :)

Ok, thanks. What I'm hoping to do, since I've been out of work for quite a while, is create a new design and sell it to a commercial distributor (anything to pay the bills). I need to research what's out there, so if you know of any others then please let me know.

Thanks, but I'm not really needing to know who's doing it out of their garage (no offense to those who do).

"Creating" a new design that you can sell to a company is kind of a long shot, unless you have a degree in engineering, and/or a fair amount of experience with refrigeration concepts to begin with.

I am a pretty smart guy (Jet eng mech on F-16's, R&D tech on small jet engines at William International, Mech at Ford and Gm proving grounds) and hired a pro freind a few years back to build a system for me/with me (It was a monster, One CPU, and dual GPU coolers in one...I used a truck toolbox to fit ti all in!) and I had trouble following everything he showed me at times. I can't imagine anything you would be able to add if your a novice.

I am not saying it CAN't be done, but even if you do, getting a company to buy it is going to be rather difficult unless you found a way to mass produce something that can hit -60c for under 300$!!!!

Here are a few newer products on the scene for you too look at, and you will see what you are up against.

OCZ has been working on a project like this for 3-4 years (For around 400$) and when it was finally released, failed to set the world on fire due too poor quality. Thermaltake has one now too, it is kinda expensive but does come with a case.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1321/ocz_cryo_z_phase_change_cooler/index.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/72005/Th...AR_RCS100_Phase-Change_Processor_Cooling.html

http://www.xpressar.com/index.html

Companies want to make money, and Phase Change cooling is a very niche product to begin with..don't expect to become rich even if you did find a way to be succesfull, there just isn't a huge demand for something like that, compared to a higher volume product such as a CPU waterblock or air cooler.

I know the feeling of being out of work, I have been jobless for a while too and have tried variuos ideas over the years with the same hopes..but you might want to look into something else to make money, something that does not require the huge amout of expertise you would need to pull something like this off.

Around 2004 for example, I used a 300MM server fan on the side panel of my case for extreme air cooling, and it worked great, but I failed to find a way to get it to market...now you can buy cases with 250mm side panel fans all day long. Somone saw it at my old website and copied it and beat me to market. My point is, don't give up on coming up with something, just you might want to look at something other then phase change...unless you know a hell of alot about it allready, and have some unique way of doing it in mind allready that isn't being done now.

Just trying to save you a bit of heartache bubba...been there and done that :p

Last edited:
@$SOLID$Necro

Many wise words there. Thanks.

I indeed know how hard it can be with product creation. I had an idea years back for an electronic mousetrap (even had the schematics all drawn out), I decided not to do it because I figured nobody would buy the idea, and about 8 month ago a friend informed me that he saw one in a magazine. On the other end of the stick I know two people that have had their ideas stolen because they failed to protect their designs, then had them stolen when they tried to sell them.

I'm not really going for an all-new revolutionary idea here, just something more compact yet still efficient (and of course affordable, I'm aiming for $200 or less). While I am a novice to OCing, my dad has been a professional AC technician for over 30 years so I have picked up a few things, and have access to any parts or tools that I might need. Though the main reason that I've decided to try this out, is because it's a market that doesn't seem to be saturated like the watercooling and air cooling market is.

I'm not looking to get rich quick, but since I can't make any money buying and selling items on ebay because fees are too high, working on people's computers because they can't afford it (I was planning to start my own business before this reccession), or any other common sidejob, plus part owner of an antique auto business that isn't going anywhere, I'm getting pretty damn desparate (and running out of ideas). I've even had the recommendation of partnering up with a friend and starting a dating site.......thought that's a little overboard, even for me.

For parts, Under the Ice is definitely worth checking out. I'm in the middle of a phase build right now (scheduled to finish within two weeks) and Ron has given me impeccable service, and essential advice. For any phase parts I need in the future (although I'm probably never building one again) that'll be my first stop.

If you've got a cool idea, and want to give it a whirl, definitely go for it. For $200 or less though, you've got quite a challenge. If you have a metal lathe and/or a CNC mill so you can make your own evaps, maybe. Mine's going to come out to a good bit more than $200, and that's without the price of the compressor and condenser.

Well JMS,

I am glad to hear you have some things at your disposal to help you in your quest, having a father in the biz will be a great asset!

Maybe you can build a few units for provate sale to help with immediate cash flow, and if you are succesfull then you might be able to approach a large company.

I admire your spirit, I wish you the best of luck... sounds like you have done some serious thinking and have your ducks in a row.

Just as a side note, instead of a full on phase change, have you considered maybe something like a low cost "Refrigerated" PC case?

There have been add on supposed "Case Coolers" done in the past, but they don't seem to realy make much of a dent in the temps.

Your biggest obstacle would involve sealing the case, and keeping moisture out...

I have a few thoughts on that..I'lll drop you a PM with the "Secret Recipe" so it doesn't get out before you can build it :p

@sno.icn

Thanks, I actually have that one already. LOL Anyway I'll probably be getting all my parts from commercial supply houses.

As for evaps, I have access to quite a selection. If they don't cut it I don't have access to a lathe or CNC mill, but I can create a decent one from parts of smaller ones.

@$SOLID$Necro
Thanks. I'm looking forward to reading your PM.

They would be the ones to ask for advice.

And garage or not, they have produced some amazing work, especially by NoL.

You will need to ask for advice. Cooling a CPU is quite different to cooling air.

Ah, sorry if that came out wrong. I meant that I was just looking for what was out on the market. I'm not yet to the point where I'm asking for advice. :)

I was reading about that xpressar. Unless they changed it it used r-134a, boils at -26C or so. They say 20C below water cooling temps so it is probably not worth what they will want for it.

Alrighty, I don't want to waste anybody's time so I'll get right to it! I have two question regarding phase-change cooling systems:
1. Are there any commercially made phase-change units? If so then please post links.
2. Now this one is going to sound weird, but does Arctic Silver 5 freeze when used in a phase-change system?

Thanks

There are plenty of good places to get them posted previously, and I always used AS5 with all my units, it doesn't freeze, it make get sticky, but it works damn well. And I still have a mach II GT (regassed and with a baker block) , that has ran my old P4 3.4ghz @ 4.6 ghz, for the last 5-6 years, so I'd say its pretty stable and safe... ;)

Back