• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg Open Box MoBo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigBadBaz

Hi. I've been watching the Asus Rampage Formula on Newegg, waiting for a price I'm willing to pay. They have it Open Box and the price for that is down to $150, so while I usually wouldn't consider Open Box, for $140 off, I'm seriously thinking about it.

Does anyone have experience with Newegg Open Box, the general quality of the products, the return policy...? Anyone with experience with Open Box MoBos in particular?

Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT! Forget it. I just realized that it doesn't come with any of the accessories! Not a CHANCE!

Last edited:
I've bought dozens of open box items from the egg. Out of all of it, only 1 item arrived defective. Newegg was fast to replace it. I've even been as lucky as to recieve a full retail boxed item inplace of an open box :D

Open box means all you get is the item itself ( mobo) and nothing else. What did you expect for almost 50% off the original price?

The two Open box motherboards I got from newegg had all of the accessories and everything and looked brand new...

Maybe I was just lucky :D

Open box means all you get is the item itself ( mobo) and nothing else. What did you expect for almost 50% off the original price?

I'm not complaining about the egg, just saying it doesn't work for me. :)

The two Open box motherboards I got from newegg had all of the accessories and everything and looked brand new...

Maybe I was just lucky :D

Now this is interesting.... Does anybody else have experience with mobos from Newegg? Did others get all the accessories or not?

I guess my ears are open again ;)

As I stated:

" I've even been as lucky as to recieve a full retail boxed item inplace of an open box" To add to this I bought an open box MSI 8800GT (G92). What I got was the entire retail box with evrything in it. This was an added bonus for an open box item.

I did'nt imply you were complaining about it. I was merely stating that for that price do you expect to get all the stuff that comes with the mobo. You're only paying for the mobo. The accessories, if it's included, is an added bonus for an open box.

Open box items is luck of the draw. Sometimes you get the accessories included and sometimes you don't.

Oh god...

The open box extreme just went down to $219.99.

Do you guys think the retail will start coming down soon as well?

I'm not complaining about the egg, just saying it doesn't work for me. :)

Now this is interesting.... Does anybody else have experience with mobos from Newegg? Did others get all the accessories or not?

I guess my ears are open again ;)

its hit or miss i got my P5k Premium with all the trimmings box was a little beat up, but everything is ok.

Oh god...

The open box extreme just went down to $219.99.

Do you guys think the retail will start coming down soon as well?

Oh, another thing to keep your eyes open for is pricing. Sometimes you'll see several identical items in the open box section, but with different pricing.

So far it looks like while it may be "hit or miss," many people are getting the mobos with the accessories. So while "miss" is possible, "hit" is quite likely.

How about their return policy? If it's missing the accessories would I be able to return it (I know it's for refund)? How about if there's a serious visual defect?

Thanks for all the replies.

not sure on returning an open box because of missing accessoreis. in fact im sure that wont fly. but you can buy any of the accessories that you dont get from asus for pretty cheap $5 or less/pc im sure. what exactly do u need besides the rear i/o?

If I'm getting this MoBo I'd definitely want the LCD poster, the manual and a number of other goodies. But your right, I just checked into it and I can get the accessories if necessary.

I guess the only question is, what's the general quality of Newegg Open Box MoBos? So far it seems pretty good.

Unless anyone disagrees I think I'm going to go for it.

Just ordered! Thanks everyone for your help! :beer:

BTW, they said I can return for a visual defect. :)

Same here because you will really want the LCD Poster...dam thing spoils you :beer:...

That would of been a hard choice though...with the RE dropping to almost half off :drool:

GL on the formula :thup:

Thanks!

The deciding factor against the RE was that I have 8GB of DDR2 RAM and I can't afford even 4GB of DDR3, so I went RF!

Thanks!

The deciding factor against the RE was that I have 8GB of DDR2 RAM and I can't afford even 4GB of DDR3, so I went RF!

2G of DDR3 would of been fine for now...even if you encode...

Still either way you should be happy for another month or two...

Its going to hook you and the next thing you know your pimping your dog/cat/sister/brother or whatever to get a R2E :beer:

Just to add on to what others have said I've bought 4 open box mobos and all 4 came with all accessories. Whatever is missing can usually be found online fairly easy. My only problem (and not to knock newegg as they eventually fixed it) was that when I bought the motherboards the website stated they came with the standard 30 day return policy (which was also listed on my invoice, my receipt, and the my rma section of their website). Despite all that I was told they would not honor the terms of the sale and the return policy/warranty that the items were sold under (told they would only give 15 days).

It took several weeks, several people up the chain spoken to, many lies and run arounds and attempts to trick me or get me to give up in frustration.....but I finally got them to admit their mistake and take the boards back on their dime. They finally did the right thing but I was amazed at the lengths they would go to avoid having to honor the terms of their sale.

it says in the open box policy you don't get any of the 'extras'. I took a chane and bought a Biostar Tpower mobo forabout $50 cheaper than a retail. and when mine came, it looked like it was brand in the box with everything...

Back