• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my -12V so low?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

After reading the "why is my +5V so low" article I figured that its a very well written explanation as to voltage drops because of resistance.
But I don't think the voltage drop would apply in my case, since my power supply from the time I received it has been at -12.68V and goes as low as -12.85v(!).

Yes folks, that's almost -13V :eek:

To this date though, I have no reason to believe it has affected my system in any way, but it still worries me that its that low in the first place. Sould I worry at all or just let it be? :eh?:

The only thing that comes to mind using the -12V would be the Seril Ports RS-232 transmitters and receivers which employ + and - 12V as their logic high and logic low. They work just fine at + and - 9V, so I doubt your -12V level would be a factor. There may be other devices that use the -12V though. Perhaps the drives.

Hoot

when i have my usrobotics external modem pluged into my com port my -12v is at -12v but when im using it the -12v hovers at around -11.7v or so. the modem is self powered so i dont understand why it would be drawing out of the psu voltage.
but i also have 5 hard drives so that might be it also :beer:

The fact that your modem runs on a wall wart makes no difference in this case. Signal strength is independent of the power that your modem uses.

Back