• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting your Motherboard into Thermo Electric Aqua Freezer NOT conventional Freezer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freak11

Putting your Motherboard into Thermo Electric Aqua Freezer NOT conventional Freezer

Hi guys,
I know that it is not possible to put a computer into a convential freezer that is run by a compressor.

However, what about if i put my computer into a TEC freezer? Would this be possible???

The TECs or peltiers would need to be able to move more heat than the total amount made by the computer. So a few hundred watts there for a gaming system and you'd need to cool the TECs with a water setup and radiator or some very loud heatsink and fan combos. But it makes much much more sense to simply put the peltier on the chips that need cooling (CPU, GPU). Using a freezer to cool a computer is possible, if it is tuned for the heat load. Even a compressor freezer, thats basicly what phase change cooling is but phase change CPU / GPU cooling cools only a single part vs cooling even things that don't need extreme cooling like your PSU.

I'd say no because they aren't meant to take a heat load. Freezers are for food and drinks, which produce no heat. No matter how cold you can get the freezer, it's just going to heat up rapidly once something like a computer is put inside.

Those TEC fridge things are basically made to keep cold things cold not really anything else. They have pretty much no cooling capacity.

yeah, they aren't really meant to remove an active heat load. At least not one with as much of a load as a computer system.

People have thought of possibly using some industrial blast freezer or something like that, but then you are talking about drilling holes in a freezer that costs tens of thousands of dollars. Good luck finding a laboratory owner that won't mind :)

I wouldnt bank on it even getting that far.

4 syllables-> con-den-sa-tion.

I'm always confused when the subject of condensation comes up in this context.

are people thinking that if a computer is put into a freezer (meat locker) then there is a possibility of condensation forming on the computer?

if so: :facepalm:

if YOU walked into a freezer would you be worried about condensation forming on YOU?!

condensation forms on an object that is colder** than the air its in.

so how could a (air cooled) computer be colder than the air around it (EVER?!) be it in a freezer, outside during the winter or having an AC unit blow cold air @ it?

** below the dew point, to be more specific

Last edited:
I'm always confused when the subject of condensation comes up in this context.

are people thinking that if a computer is put into a freezer (meat locker) then there is a possibility of condensation forming on the computer?

if so: :facepalm:

if YOU walked into a freezer would you be worried about condensation forming on YOU?!

condensation forms on an object that is colder** than the air its in.

so how could a (air cooled) computer be colder than the air around it (EVER?!) be it in a freezer, outside during the winter or having an AC unit blow cold air @ it?

** below the dew point, to be more specific

Isn't the problem that the cold of the freezer causes deposition of any surrounding humidity in the air, collecting on the PC components. Then the warmth of the components change those ice crystals to water? When I put anything in my freezer it collects a thin layer of ice around most of it. Then when it hits the warm air, that ice melts and my package of chicken is getting the counter all wet. Isn't this the basic phenomenon occurring if something warm is put in the freezer?

in a closed system i cant see any reason or way for condensation to occur

i "***-u-me" the ice that is forming around the items in our freezers is due to the temporary addition of warm, humid air getting into the freezer when the door is opened and closed

right after you open the freezer door, warm (room temp) air fills the freezer and until that "new" air is cooled, the items inside are "colder than the air around them" and thus condensation occurs

now as for the item you took out of the freezer and set on your counter... that item is colder than the air it is in and thus condensation is occurring until the item warms up and is above the dew point of the air

Last edited:
yep, the problem would be opening the freezer, turning the freezer off, or removing components from the freezer...

it'd be a real problem the day your computer didnt post

i mean, how, at that point, do you safely allow your stuff to warm up so you can work on it? there would be no way to warm your components if your computer didnt start. if you just let things warm up by turning the freezer off, the cold air in the freezer would be replaced by warm moist air before the components of your computer got a chance to warm up

condensation

also, you'd have to put your computer in the freezer before the freezer got cold, or when you opened the door, the freezer would begin to form condensation throughout

so i can see it working for sure... as long as you never need access to your rig

in a closed system i cant see any reason or way for condensation to occur

i "***-u-me" the ice that is forming around the items in our freezers is due to the temporary addition of warm, humid air getting into the freezer when the door is opened and closed

right after you open the freezer door, warm (room temp) air fills the freezer and until that "new" air is cooled, the items inside are "colder than the air around them" and thus condensation occurs

now as for the item you took out of the freezer and set on your counter... that item is colder than the air it is in and thus condensation is occurring until the item warms up and is above the dew point of the air

I think that's a little delusive though. True in that circumstance, there would be no condensation, but most people aren't going to be able to setup a freezer cooler and regulate the humidity like that.

^^^the guy up there has the right idea
Just so you know, you are bumping a thread from 2008. While it is good to see that you are searching for answers and finding them, please pay attention to thread dates and avoid bumping old ones.

Just so you know, you are bumping a thread from 2008. While it is good to see that you are searching for answers and finding them, please pay attention to thread dates and avoid bumping old ones.

bump! you just bumped an old thread to say no bumping old threads! the irony! and if you read this, PM me how to set up my signature with my build and whatnot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back