• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg + Overstock.com= DOUBLE EPIC FAIL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
I normally have pretty decent service from Newegg... But this last RAM purchase I made has been a complete and total DISASTER.

In fact... ever since I switched to mastercard I've had problems with newegg. I picked up 4 gigs of micro SD last month and the first time it I completed my order... received confirmation... only to be told my card had failed. I then followed their link... put the EXACT SAME CARD IN not twenty seconds later... and it went through.

This time I ordered the OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2... completed my order... thought everything was fine because I didn't instantaneously receive a declined message like before... only to discover that it actually WAS declined about a minute and a half after I checked... which I didn't find out until days later.

So I put in the exact same number AGAIN... and was told that it shipped and received shipping info on the 9th... only it DIDN'T ship on the 9th. It didn't ship until the 11th!

And just to add insult to injury... their tracking system was down for a whole day I was trying to track it (think it was saturday or sunday) and now it's back up: It says it was delivered yesterday... but I don't HAVE IT.

We aren't done yet...

http://www.overstock.com/20919/stat...p=F&siteID=fW5jXtbL300-gY9.USu1b03uvDY8Eyin6w
This sale at overstock.com

Bought PS3 GTA IV for 24.95.

They charged my card (on the first try!) confirmed it and everything... (This was on December 12th)

TODAY... FOUR DAYS LATER... I get this message

Dear David,

We regret to inform you that due to an inventory error we were unable to ship the item listed below. We sincerely apologize and have issued a full refund to your method of payment.

Order Number: 71944636
Item Name: PS3 - Grand Theft Auto IV
Original Purchase Price: $24.88
Shipping Cost: $2.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total Refund Issued: $27.83

They've been holding onto my 27.83 for FOUR DAYS before mentioning they're not going to send my product.

Conveniently the same day I find out I never actually received my Newegg product.

Add to that it's about 12 degrees here in Chicago.

I'm somewhere BEYOND angry right now... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Standing on my front porch... in the snow... (And by that I mean it is SNOWING... RIGHT NOW)

...waiting to have a few words with my mail carrier...

...getting ANGRIER. :mad: :mad:

UPDATE: No word back from Newegg... still trying to write something that isn't filled with swear words to Overstock...

As for the Newegg package I've contacted the manager of the post office, the postal inspectors, and the mail handler I saw today. Somebody's supposed to have some info to me by tomorrow.

Fact of the matter is this is the fault of Newegg's STUPID "DHL it to USPS..." scheme. If it was actually sent via DHL I wouldn't be having this problem now... If it was shipped out the day I got shipping confirmation I wouldn't be having this problem now. And at the VERY least I wouldn't be as cold and covered with snow as I am right now.

MUCH... ANGRIER. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Let me understand this. Your card was declined and yet you tried to use the same card again, not once but twice? :confused:

No. The order was confirmed THEN my card was declined FOR NO REASON. And I tried the card again ONCE with one order... and it worked. Seconds later.

THEN with the order I placed last week was confirmed... then a little later was declined again. And I put the same card number back in and it worked.

There's nothing wrong with my card (and it's the only card I have), I bought about 20 things online over the past couple of weeks, and only newegg has given me a problem with this card. Even overstock.com (though they didn't actually have the product they sold me...) was glad to take my 27.93 with no problem.

Hope that clears it up. ;)

No. The order was confirmed THEN my card was declined FOR NO REASON. And I tried the card again ONCE with one order... and it worked. Seconds later.

THEN with the order I placed last week was confirmed... then a little later was declined again. And I put the same card number back in and it worked.

There's nothing wrong with my card (and it's the only card I have), I bought about 20 things online over the past couple of weeks, and only newegg has given me a problem with this card. Even overstock.com (though they didn't actually have the product they sold me...) was glad to take my 27.93 with no problem.

Hope that clears it up. ;)

Big question, why was your card declined? Or do you know why your card was declined?

As for the overstock.com thing give em a break. Look what time of year it is. tons of people are placing orders. Maybe someones inventory was off. Im sure they did not capture the payment. Just ran a authorization.

Big question, why was your card declined? Or do you know why your card was declined?

As for the overstock.com thing give em a break. Look what time of year it is. tons of people are placing orders. Maybe someones inventory was off. Im sure they did not capture the payment. Just ran a authorization.

I have no idea why the card was declined. The card is valid... It's a debit card so I know the money was in the bank. I also know it because IT WORKED WITH BOTH THE FIRST AND SECOND ORDERS WHEN I RAN THE EXACT SAME CARD A SECOND TIME!

Maybe you know why a card would NOT work one second and then WORK 20 seconds later... and only with one company.

...I don't.

I have no idea why the card was declined. The card is valid... It's a debit card so I know the money was in the bank. I also know it because IT WORKED WITH BOTH THE FIRST AND SECOND ORDERS WHEN I RAN THE EXACT SAME CARD A SECOND TIME!

Maybe you know why a card would NOT work one second and then WORK 20 seconds later... and only with one company.

...I don't.

Ok did you put in the right billing address? Did you have it shipped to the billing address? are the billing and shipping address different? Did you spend a lot of money that day and hit a daily spending limit? If you entered the wrong 3 number code on the back of the card it could of caused it or if you had bought a few things that day the bank could of put a hold on the card.

Im thinking why it did not work was because you entered in the wrong 3 numbers on the back of the card or one of the other numbers.

When it did go what all did you have to re-enter? just your CC number and the 3 numbers on the back or the shipping and billing info?

With all the orders they are getting the systems could of been hammered and put on over load as well.
I work for a internet store. I can see what time people put there orders in. Its funny cause "most of the orders" are with in a 1 hour window 3 times a day. It puts a heavy load on the system.

Ok did you put in the right billing address? Did you have it shipped to the billing address? are the billing and shipping address different? Did you spend a lot of money that day and hit a daily spending limit? If you entered the wrong 3 number code on the back of the card it could of caused it or if you had bought a few things that day the bank could of put a hold on the card.

Im thinking why it did not work was because you entered in the wrong 3 numbers on the back of the card or one of the other numbers.

When it did go what all did you have to re-enter? just your CC number and the 3 numbers on the back or the shipping and billing info?

With all the orders they are getting the systems could of been hammered and put on over load as well.
I work for a internet store. I can see what time people put there orders in. Its funny cause "most of the orders" are with in a 1 hour window 3 times a day. It puts a heavy load on the system.

First of all you need to get off this idea that somehow *I* did something wrong.

I didn't.

I know for "people in the industry" the first thing is always to assume that the customer did something wrong... But assuming that, after being a newegg customer for YEARS suddenly my billing address would magically change... or that I would input the wrong code... twice... FOR TWO DIFFERENT ORDERS nonetheless... is silly.

I didn't do anything wrong. My shipping and billing address have always been the same. My code is ridiculously easy to remember and I did not mistype it.

I'm also not buying that the servers just happened to be under heavy load... at two completely different times of the day (and the middle of the night) in two different months... on two completely different products... one of which being in extremely low demand.

A better theory is that, for some odd reason, Newegg has a hard time charging debit cards from my bank. I'm pretty damned sure that if I bought... I dunno... some blank CDs right now... my card would probably be declined. And if I reinput the card number three seconds later... same number... same code on the back... everything... it would be accepted.

So you can forget the popular myth that it's somehow always the customers fault.

It isn't this time.

And then of course there's this whole "DHL to USPS" fiasco...

why didn't i read this thread either...

big surprise new egg is at 10 days, thats 3 days late on my ram and they insist the post office left me a pick up slip and they didn't. no ram and no help from new egg.

I guess both of us must be bad people, amirite?
it must be both of our faults... the customer is always wrong.

Dude im not being a **** or anything. I deal with this crap all day long. And 99% of the time something like this is due to the customer.

Now I have seen too where on some CC the system does not like it and you have to run it through the back end.

Granted all in all I know that this crap really p i s s e s you off. I would make me mad too.

This problem just started right with this card? Never happen before? If so it would make it the banks problem. Maybe too the retailer for not having the best software.

Mellow out man. take a breath, drink a beer or smoke a cig or a joint.
Im sure over all your internet buying has been good and you will buy from newegg again.

Edit just to be a **** however this is the truth,
only to discover that it actually WAS declined about a minute and a half after I checked... which I didn't find out until days later.

You should follow up. did you not check your e-mail for a few days or did it not show up for a few days?

rainless babe I do understand. I have been burned to. After im done being p i s s ed off i figure out what i can do next time so it does not happen.

P.S. If you want babe I will come over tonite and rub your back and make you hot coco!

Last edited:
Are you sure it isn't your card causing the problems? Do you have a different credit card to try and use? Have you called your credit card company to see if they have some sort of problem with your purchases?

Dude im not being a **** or anything. I deal with this crap all day long. And 99% of the time something like this is due to the customer.

Now I have seen too where on some CC the system does not like it and you have to run it through the back end.

Granted all in all I know that this crap really p i s s e s you off. I would make me mad too.

This problem just started right with this card? Never happen before? If so it would make it the banks problem. Maybe too the retailer for not having the best software.

Mellow out man. take a breath, drink a beer or smoke a cig or a joint.
Im sure over all your internet buying has been good and you will buy from newegg again.

Edit just to be a **** however this is the truth,

You should follow up. did you not check your e-mail for a few days or did it not show up for a few days?

I *always* follow-up. The first time it said "order accepted... check for confirmation email."

I checked for the confirmation email and there was a credit card denial right with it. At that moment I used their (do I really have to say this again?)

The second time I made the order... order accepted... checked my email...
Order confirmed...no decline.

Figured all was good. It wasn't.

And I'm not big into coco. More of a cappucino man...

I *always* follow-up. The first time it said "order accepted... check for confirmation email."

I checked for the confirmation email and there was a credit card denial right with it. At that moment I used their (do I really have to say this again?)

The second time I made the order... order accepted... checked my email...
Order confirmed...no decline.

Figured all was good. It wasn't.

And I'm not big into coco. More of a cappucino man...

dude sorry things went south fer ya.

Would you still like me to come over and rub your back?

Let us know if you ever find a reason as to why this went south please.

First I gotta DEAL WITH somebody at the post office. Then I'll turn my attention to New Egg and THEN i have to deal with overstock.

The priority is my RAM. I've got ONE MORE day off... and I'm going to be angry if I have to use the whole day to get my RAM.

Hank, stop man, stop before you get upset. It's a rainless thread. You can't attack the man, it's against forum rules first off....and he never lets it go, you can't win against him. Best case you both will loose.

Take a step back and read some other threads ;)

That DHL to USPS is one of the reasons I no longer shop at the egg. That is just one messed up shipping system, with no way to correct mistakes. My RAM went to Arkansas because the wrong zip code got put in by DHL or USPS, I tried to get it corrected... Gave up, switched to alternative vendors.

Hank, stop man, stop before you get upset. It's a rainless thread. You can't attack the man, it's against forum rules first off....and he never lets it go,

Sure I do! I'm letting EVERYTHING go these days. I'm not even here full-time anymore... average post count would be like 2 now if it wasn't for my past 7,000 posts... I'm not even here enough to poke fun at any mods.

This is RainLITE. :beer:

Back