• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg restocking fee rant.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

Ok, so my first board a purchased was a MSI. It turned out to have a bad ram slot (it was a mATX, upgrade for my brother, hes on a budget and already had a mATX setup). It only had 2 ram slots, so that sucked. RMA. Ive had issues w/ MSI years ago but from everyons reviews, they were solved but I guess not.

So I wanted to return and get a different brand. BAM 15% restocking, wow ok whatever.

So I found an open box Asus mATX M3 for cheap and picked that up.

Received it and it wont post! All the ram and CPU work on the other motherboard (except that one RAM slot, both pieces were tested working though) but this one nothing. WOW

So another RMA. Now they are hitting me for $8 to return it because they sent out a dead board to me! Im really getting tired of this crap. They send me dud boards and I have to take the short end of the stick :(

Call them up about it! That's the best way to deal with the Egg on something like this; don't do the automated RMA or the chat BS on returns and RMA matters.

good old newegg, still repacking used items and selling them as new... never stops does it...

i can understand getting one bad board but 2 in a row... come on, were these refurbished by any chance?

as said, get on the phone with them cause thas BS they are shipping defective products, i can understand charging a fee for non DOA items, but DOA... they should be cover all costs to get it replaced.

He DID say the second one was open box. Presumably the first one was new although he didn't say. I don't know what you mean by repacking used items as new I'm pretty sure they don't do that plus most items have factory seals.

First was new, 2nd was open box.

But open box is supposed to be tested *supposedly*. Obviously it wasnt which is frustrating.

The sad thing is, I smelled a burning smell from it went I started it the first time. No smoke, but a distinct burning smell.

1st one had a bad ram slot (ram tested OK).

I dont see how they can charge a restocking fee for an open box that is DOA. ****es me off.

Yeah call them or something. They sent you a defective product and are charging you a restocking fee??? Call them (should have done that first instead of posting a rant thread).

I'll bet good money says after you call them, your next post here will be praising them for correcting the situation.

I am pretty sure they don't test open box items, they are just customer returns and are discounted for that reason. Tested not-new items would be refurbs etc. It would take quite a bit of manpower and testing to go through all returned items and it's not something a low-margin place really wants to do. Anywho I've had luck even with chat reps taking care of issues like this, I also could have sworn that open box specifically ststes that return within 15 days is no restock fee.

lol,can't believe they don't test open box,why would'nt they,but i wondered.?Guess they offer a decent discount for you to find out,which would be bad ethnics.I like newegg,not tryin to bash then at all,but i find it odd that open box will come up in any product search of same item as well,so be careful what ya click to "buy"..

I believe they test open box units... they have to. What they test and how thorough though is another story. You just cant throw up a return for sale again... seriously. Especially with such a low margin company you would think you would want to have everything tested like that so it doesnt get returned AGAIN!

Here,a quick google,since i wonder myself.I really can't believe they would not set up a simple test process to at least ensure some integrity of returned product.If this statement is true,i personally believe it is wrong to charge return shipping or deny any rma request if this link has truth(within a short time of receipt).http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/202369-30-open-motherboard

Ok, so my first board a purchased was a MSI. It turned out to have a bad ram slot (it was a mATX, upgrade for my brother, hes on a budget and already had a mATX setup). It only had 2 ram slots, so that sucked. RMA. Ive had issues w/ MSI years ago but from everyons reviews, they were solved but I guess not.

So I wanted to return and get a different brand. BAM 15% restocking, wow ok whatever.

So I found an open box Asus mATX M3 for cheap and picked that up.

Received it and it wont post! All the ram and CPU work on the other motherboard (except that one RAM slot, both pieces were tested working though) but this one nothing. WOW

So another RMA. Now they are hitting me for $8 to return it because they sent out a dead board to me! Im really getting tired of this crap. They send me dud boards and I have to take the short end of the stick :(

Hmm... Don't know if I'd buy a brand new board... find out it had a bad ram slot... THEN decide "Okay! Let me try a used board now!" :)

But you're right... both items should have worked. You probably should've just asked for a replacement MSI though since that's what you ordered in the first place.

Plenty of people buying motherboards, CPUs, etc... finding out they don't like the way they clock... and then returning them.

You aren't one of those people obviously... but that's why those fees exist.

Unless their policy has changed they won't waive the restocking fee unless you specify that you want a replacement and they are all sold out. Years ago I bought an open box AIW 8500DV that was dead, I RMA'd it for a replacement and they gave me a full refund and waived the restocking fee as they were all sold out of refurb'd 8500DVs. A year later I bought an open box NF7-S that was also dead, I tried to get a RMA replacement and they had no other refurb'd boards so they waived the restocking fee and refunded my money. If you ask for a RMA Refund however, they will charge you a restocking fee. A Customer Service Agent will probably waive the fee if you call them and explain the situation.

newegg.com FAQs: When and why are restocking fees applied? How much is deducted when a return is subject to a restocking fee? said:
There is a restocking fee of 15% on all returns for refund (RMA Refund), unless waived by a Customer Support Agent. We charge this 15% restocking fee for all returns for refund to encourage customers to purchase products they intend to keep. We offer RMA Replacement without any restocking fee to support customers who have received a defective product. For CPU and Memory refunds, any restocking fee we use will be a reflection on current market value for the same cpu item. Newegg.com does not support attempts to profit from CPU and Memory price fluctuations.

Last edited:
My mistake, it does say they test them. How thoroughly is what we don't know. Truly thorough testing of something as complex as a motherboard would take quite a long time.

From http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#8
Open-Box Items

Return for refund within: 15 days
Return for replacement within: non-replaceable

This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg.com often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they bear this limited 15-day refund-only return policy through Newegg.com. Such items can only be returned within 15 days of the applicable invoice date. Newegg.com cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including (but not limited to) scratches, dings or dents. Should these items prove defective following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg.com) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.

I could have sworn there was something about defective open box not having a restock fee, perhaps that's changed in 'official' policy.

I find myself having more and more reasons to not shop with Newegg.

What that policy says is basically, "If it doesn't work, it's not our fault and you have to pay to get it fixed."

It's open box so you get a discount, if you don't want to risk it don't get open box and like most places that sell open box there's no manufacturer warranty. I'm sure they'll waive the restocking fee it's just applied automatically. People seriously compain too much before trying to resolve issues.

Risk what? Im buying open box at a discounted rate due to the fact that I dont get a brand new board nor do I get accessories.

I am DEFINATELY paying for a working board though. Just because its discounted doesnt mean it wont/shouldnt work. There really shouldnt be any "risk" involved in open box if they are tested, but I have a hard time believing they are all tested personally.

I will be calling on Monday when they open. Their phone hours arent open on weekends so theres nothing I can really do right now.

People seriously compain too much before trying to resolve issues.

That's the main thing I'm saying....problems and mistakes happen but it's only fair to give a place a chance to correct the problem before complaining about it. Just curious did you note it as defective in the RMA request? That sometimes takes care of it.

btw here's how to return defective items and avoid this altogether: do a chat and tell the rep it's defective. They'll create and RMA for you, possibly a return label, and can waive the restock fee during the RMA creation. I've had so many good experiences and 'exceptions' (even though I know they'll do it every time) from Newegg but it always takes a little effort on my end, if you want to call a chat of a few minutes effort.

Last edited:
Yes, in the description I put my troubleshooting steps and how the RAM and CPU worked in another system and that I smelled a distinct burning smell just so there wasnt any question about why it was being RMA'ed.

It's open box so you get a discount, if you don't want to risk it don't get open box and like most places that sell open box there's no manufacturer warranty. I'm sure they'll waive the restocking fee it's just applied automatically. People seriously compain too much before trying to resolve issues.

WRONG.

At Best Buy we take 10% off of Open Box items, we give as much of the accessories and original packaging as we can from the return AND it has the manufacturer's warranty, fully honored. We also offer the extended ones.

This is exclusively Newegg's VERY POOR open box policy. Don't try to blanket that at other companies because I'm sure Circuit City and Fry's have the same policy as Best Buy.

Yes, in the description I put my troubleshooting steps and how the RAM and CPU worked in another system and that I smelled a distinct burning smell just so there wasnt any question about why it was being RMA'ed.

I will certainly agree with you *if* they don't refund the restocking fee but I'm 99.99% certain they will.

WRONG.

At Best Buy we take 10% off of Open Box items, we give as much of the accessories and original packaging as we can from the return AND it has the manufacturer's warranty, fully honored. We also offer the extended ones.

This is exclusively Newegg's VERY POOR open box policy. Don't try to blanket that at other companies because I'm sure Circuit City and Fry's have the same policy as Best Buy.

I see no blanket in my statement. 'Most' does not equal 'all' does it? No doubt Newegg could have a better policy for open box items but the terms are available before deciding to make a purchase and I'm certain he'll get his refund. You're also comparing retail to online, and 10% off BB prices versus Newegg's usual open box discount barring items that have plummeted since their introduction, well ;) I'm sure BB has policies that could be better too, I don't even know how merely 'as much of the original accessories and packaging' can be included because "All returns must be made in original condition and include all accessories" is BB's policy...unless there are *gasp* exceptions made there just like exceptions that Newegg makes.

I guess you're getting all caps-y on me because I'm not siding with the OP right off the bat when in reality the situation is not fully resolved yet.

Back