• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

returns are nightmare at Fry's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radi4fun

i love to go to fry's but i hate returning stuff there. just the other day i went back to fry's to return asus p5q-dlx motherboard, and the guy starts to open up the board, flips it around, gets a magnifying glass and looks at the pins to see if i had bent any of them. also a few months ago my roommate returned a computer 2 days after purchase and guess what? they opened the whole pc in front of every one to too is he had not taken out the cpu or switched it, or messed with the MB/ram or anything. and the dumb return section is like right up at the entrance where every1 sees you. its so embarrassing standing next to one of the techs opening up and taken apart the pc right in front of every 1.

shhhhhh take me to the back of the store or something and, heck i'll help you take the pc apart. i've returned a few pc's from walmart and they have never even opened a pc in front of me. they just call some1 from electronics dept and they open the box and just check and see if the monitor, pc, keyboard, mouse and speakers are there. and they don't even ask for no driving license or nothing as long as u have the receipt. now thats one place that some one can switch cpu's and don't have to worry about it. hahaahah who would want to steal the E2110 cpu's? the only good thing they have are those dell xps pc's with q6600, but why go to all that trouble, i mean who buys pc's to switch cpu's? come on fry's not evey 1 is a criminal.

i love shopping there but just hate the return process, make you feel like guilty or as if you stole something. argggggggg. but i love my fry's. its so close only 8 min drive, i guess their great deals make up for the rude customer service at returns.

any one else had and bad experience returning products at fry's?

Last edited:
true, if it was my store, heck, i'd strip apart the whole thing too. but deam, right up at the entrance where every 1 walks in? their check outs are like hidden in the side corner of the store.... i just wished they did not have to make a big deal about it in front of every one, just have small section in the side and open all the things you want away from the general public. that's all.

Ehh.. I'm a fat lazy bum, if they want me to stand there where they're gonna rip it apart and check it out, it should be in the front of the store, so I don't have to walk all the way to the back of the store. But once again, that's my opinion (being a fat lazy bum)

So the returns are a nghtmare because you're embarassed that they check the returned item? I seriously doubt any other customers care and it's all in your head, and even if not what difference does it make what other people think.

Last edited:
um ya, i a glad they do this, you just assume they should take it back on the cutomers word?

they need to check why... most stores do this, they check the contents, make sure everything is in tact, nothing is missing or damaged.

you need to lay off the paranoya drugs dude, no one cares your returning something and i am sure if someone did care, they wouldnt think you stole something, cause then is like.. why would they be returning stolen goods......if they have a receipt and all.

Yeah, I agree. I think that it is all in your head. If they were just picking and choosing what boxes to open and then not bothering with some other people then that could maybe be a bit embarassing, but the policy is that they do it for everyone, and I think that most people that shop there regularly know this. So knowing that, is anyone going to think that you stole something or that they are thinking you are suspicious? Nah.

But I can tell you one of the reasons that they check everything and wal mart does not is that the type of customer you get in these two different stores that are buying computer stuff are totally different. The average person that would buy a computer at wal mart is lucky if they know how to turn it on or connect the keyboard whereas the average Fry's computer or component buyer is someone who could very easily have opened a box and swapped something.

I don't have any issues with it, and I have returned things to my local Fry's a few times.

But I can tell you one of the reasons that they check everything and wal mart does not is that the type of customer you get in these two different stores that are buying computer stuff are totally different. The average person that would buy a computer at wal mart is lucky if they know how to turn it on or connect the keyboard whereas the average Fry's computer or component buyer is someone who could very easily have opened a box and swapped something.

i see, now i'm not really that upset about it. never really looked at it that way, true most people at wal-mart that buy computers are just there to get the cheapest ones that come with a 19" lcd monitor for like $350. almost no one really looks at the cpu or what the computer offers. so there would be no need for people at wal-mart to really expect an average Joe to just crack open the case and switch something out. and also, don't most people think that if you open the computer case, you can't return it or you void the warranty? hum... come to think of it, i've never seen any special labels or anything in the back of the PC's that if you open, it voids the warranty.

Not for a while. Older pcs did have tamperproof labels, but since modern PCS are pretty modular it would be a bad marketing decision to try to sell a pc that couldn't be upgraded, at all, ever.

PC upgrades are pretty easy now.. ever work on an ibm ps/2? *shudder*

oh thats cool, the last time i bought a brand name pc was back in 97. and back then i think my eMachines did have something in the back, not sure. well eMachines is not all that "brand name" but it was good for me as i was in junior high. i remember my dad had paid $800 for that sucker. now its time to make my own PC and i would have never had to go through all this only if the P5Q-Deluxe would have worked the 1st time. i'm just trying to build a PC after 11 years and see what $800 can get me in today's world.

Returned a mobo 2 days ago to frys in Houston. Just verified I had my parts and checked for obvious damage, asked me what was wrong with it and offered to give me another one. All in all I thought it was speedy and easy.

It's common practice... it needs to be done.

I help run a small computer shop, and have neglected to check pins on 2 motherboards due to being in a hurry... guess what? those two boards were found to have a few bent pins in the ZIF socket later on.

The manufacturers warranty ends when even one of those pins gets bent... those two boards I took back? still sitting on the broken rack in the back of the shop... unsellable and unrepairable.... a testament to what to make sure to do from then on.

I've had to reject peoples returns for this... it's not something that makes me happy... it doesn't warm the cockles of my blackened heart... it just happens when folks aren't careful & don't read directions.

I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers... but if you can't take standing there in the return line while someone takes time out of they're day to make sure they aren't getting ripped off... then don't buy things.

~ Gos

One of the reason I shop at Fry's is their easy no hassle return policy, and oh yeah no stupid 15% restocking fee also. Putting the return line in front is convenient for the customer and it also said that they have nothing to hide.

i see, now i'm not really that upset about it. never really looked at it that way, true most people at wal-mart that buy computers are just there to get the cheapest ones that come with a 19" lcd monitor for like $350. almost no one really looks at the cpu or what the computer offers. so there would be no need for people at wal-mart to really expect an average Joe to just crack open the case and switch something out. and also, don't most people think that if you open the computer case, you can't return it or you void the warranty? hum... come to think of it, i've never seen any special labels or anything in the back of the PC's that if you open, it voids the warranty.

if walmart checked all of their computers and electronics, that means that they would have to know something about the products they are selling. i am not saying that there isn't anyone at walmart that knows anything about computers, but i would have to imagine that most of the walmart employees couldn't really even tell you that intel and amd are different companies.

Not for a while. Older pcs did have tamperproof labels, but since modern PCS are pretty modular it would be a bad marketing decision to try to sell a pc that couldn't be upgraded, at all, ever.

PC upgrades are pretty easy now.. ever work on an ibm ps/2? *shudder*

i know that the compaq presario that my dad bought after our ibm ps/2 had stickers on it that were tamper proof. i did open the ibm ps/2 once (i was really young and had never seen the inside of a computer) but it certainly made me fascinated with how computers worked.

Back