• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time Warner.... nuff said

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottcha

RANT ON:

:temper:
My cable, cable internet, cable phone went out dec 24 and they came out and put a new drop out on the pole(not sure what makes it go bad) and everything worked fine for 6 hours. Then the cable phone and internet went out. Called them back they made an appointment for the 26th from 5-8pm... 8:30 rolled around and no one showed up!!!! called them and they said someone from my house called and said the problem was fixed(bullsheet!!):mad:

So the 29th they come out and this tech seems to be doing a good job and checking everything. He replaced my modem and my cable box and then i had a booster installed in my basement which he informed me that it was the wrong style making my signal to strong..... ok well he change it. So everything in my house is new hardware and cables. So he leaves and 20min later all cable drops out!!! I was fuming!!!:mad: I called and they told me that they were working on another costomer near me and thats why so ok fine it shut me up.

Dec 30th cable has gone out on me 4 times for around 10 min to 3 hours at a time but it comes back on. I have called them out again and they will be here between 1-3pm.

History with the techs. None of them know what the last one did.(great communication) and they all end up telling me that the cable running from my house to the pole it to long( about 150 yards) and it could be causeing the signal strength problem but when the check it in my house they say it meets there standards( what the heck are those?)

I was told by one of the first tech about 1 year ago that i could pay them to move the drop!! WFT!!!! of course my answer was NO F'IN WAY.

I am now for sure the problem is the tap out on the pole and the length of cable from my house to the pole. How the heck do i have them fix it!!!!!!!!!1!!:bang head

My Time Warner in Racine is pretty responsive. Though, I live in an apartment and there is a specific representative assigned here. Actually she and her husband both work for TW and they are both out here all the time (I think he specializes in the phone installations).

Even if the techs are incompetent, usually, if you rant on the phone long enough, you can have them discount your monthly fee on a per day basis (i.e., if you were without service for 6 days, you would get a discount of 6/30 or 1/5 or 20% off for that month.). I have had no problem getting that discount when they originally gave me a phone number which was invalid and unusable for a week (and forced me to contact everyone I had notified about the new number when I got a working one).

I know that doesn't get you up and running any faster, but it does take a little bit of the sting out of being without service.

Well They sent two techs out and they looked confused as to why the last tech put a certian amp in and said it was wrong and they balanced out some signals and called it good. so we will see. I would just like to have it fixed. I'm not really a big complainer or whiner but paying this much i will get good service!

My Time Warner went out. Had someone come over. He looked around, said that the problem was on the roof and that he couldnt do it. He said they would send over contractors and we could call Time Warner to find out when the contractors would come so we can help them if they needed access. We called and they said they would call us and let us know. We waited 4 days, nothing. Called Time Warner and TW said that it was not their responsibility to call and let us know the contractors came and fixed it. Yeah my mom went berserk on them. Guess what, it isnt fixed idiots. Call another tech over, he tells my mom yeah sure its fixed. He leave, she goes on the internet, it is not fixed. She calls Time Warner and the tech on the phone says the tech that left our house put notes the problem is NOT fixed. Nice. Ok so another tech comes to fix it and it works literally for two days then BOOM. Call out another tech. He blames the fact we added satellite ( 3 months ago mind you ) and says no contruction needed to be done all along but that he just needed to add an amp to the line. Ok so finally he adds the amp and we are good to go.

The entire ordeal took 15 days. Oh yeah I was ****ed. They just installed a Verizon FIOS box in my house and they offer 20/5 internet. Goodbye Time Warner...

My Time Warner experience is a little different. They put a collection of $66 on my TU report, I called them up and spent 3 days giving them info such as my ssn, name, address, even the acct # that appeared on the credit report and they are unable to locate that info. Said they will remove it, of course that was 5 years ago and guess what? Its still on my credit report...oh yeah and I did try to dispute with bureau but that didn't go anywhere fast.

Well They sent two techs out and they looked confused as to why the last tech put a certian amp in and said it was wrong and they balanced out some signals and called it good. so we will see. I would just like to have it fixed. I'm not really a big complainer or whiner but paying this much i will get good service!

eeehh... they put amps on your line? the techs in my area say thats a huge nono.

if i were to guess they have you on a hub where your signal attenuates like crazy? when the tech comes out, have him measure your signal loss it shouldn't be no more than like -8 -10 or so. after that you have problems with phone quality and such is what i was told from a tech that installed my stuff.

make sure you KEEP him there till you're satisfied those techs get paid per house, and they're in and out as quick as possible. the last guy almost left a bunch of tools at my house because he was in a hurry to get to the next house.

edit: oh, and have them take a look at the cable to the house, i was ran a new one but mine wasnt 150 yrds from my house. thats a issue with you and TW that you have to work out, its unacceptable that you're paying 130 at minimal for basic services (basic digital, inet, and phone) a month. make sure you log who you talk to and all that if at all possible. if TW still fails to fix this issue, then i would complain to either your state rep and the BBB

if i were to guess they have you on a hub where your signal attenuates like crazy? when the tech comes out, have him measure your signal loss it shouldn't be no more than like -8 -10 or so. after that you have problems with phone quality and such is what i was told from a tech that installed my stuff.

I think that was or still is the problem they were talking about 15s and 40s when checking the signal. But the weird thing is the tech before last got opposite reading.

i hate how they packet shape my connections.. pretty lame TWC. Gonna switch to FIOS as soon as it comes available in my area.

i hate how they packet shape my connections.. pretty lame TWC. Gonna switch to FIOS as soon as it comes available in my area.

Is TWC doing this now? Bummer.

TWC is refusing to pay out to Viacom, and will likely lose the rights to broadcast Viacom stations (16 in total) after midnight tonight. All over $32 million. Not paying the princely sum to the NFL network I can see, but the Viacom thing has me baffled.

yea i just heard about this tonight as it popped up on my tv earlier. Not sure what to do about this because in my area all we can get is TWC. Now my son cant watch nickelodeon or sponge bob do little square pants guy.

What do you mean packet shape???

Well the other night i sat down to enjoy a movie and i get little black squares all over the screen every 2-3 min.. so i'm gonna have to call them back out again....... they will fix it!!!!!! Oh and i also am waitting for FIOS to come to my area.

ive had a near same experience with TW cable
our internet was slow/ not working at times and we called them a couple times and they came a couple times

first they installed an 'amplifier' that would help our internet problem. didnt work
second they came, looked at it and said it should be fine. worked for a few hours, then stopped

they came a third time and had to fix a pole, which took about a week. and they gave us a box of cookies which we never ate and are still sitting in storage. i saw those cookies a few weeks ago and they looked perfect, except their about 2 years old

What do you mean packet shape???

Well the other night i sat down to enjoy a movie and i get little black squares all over the screen every 2-3 min.. so i'm gonna have to call them back out again....... they will fix it!!!!!! Oh and i also am waitting for FIOS to come to my area.

they deiced for you if what your doing, downloading should get priorty, good speed or not.

this usually onlu applies to P2P networks . torrents, you try to download a torrent file and they kill the speed to nothing, cause they assume you are a criminal and are breaking the law.

ive had a near same experience with TW cable
our internet was slow/ not working at times and we called them a couple times and they came a couple times

first they installed an 'amplifier' that would help our internet problem. didnt work
second they came, looked at it and said it should be fine. worked for a few hours, then stopped

they came a third time and had to fix a pole, which took about a week. and they gave us a box of cookies which we never ate and are still sitting in storage. i saw those cookies a few weeks ago and they looked perfect, except their about 2 years old

I was told the amp would help with the Cable TV but it wouldn't help with the cable internet!! I keep getting conflicting info from these guys! first the signal is to weak and then its too strong! WTF

they deiced for you if what your doing, downloading should get priorty, good speed or not.

this usually onlu applies to P2P networks . torrents, you try to download a torrent file and they kill the speed to nothing, cause they assume you are a criminal and are breaking the law.

Oh yeah thats really screwy:screwy:

I was told the amp would help with the Cable TV but it wouldn't help with the cable internet!! I keep getting conflicting info from these guys! first the signal is to weak and then its too strong! WTF

Oh yeah thats really screwy:screwy:

i think the amp even may mess with the high frequency signals for the internet???

in terms of packet shaping, they do that to cut P2P to discourage you from using it to kinda put less hassle on them i'm assuming. its a dumb move imo people BT for LEGAL reasons, not always the latter

Back