• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Egg Scramble II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlabamaCajun

This time just a minor gripe or two.

I bought a wide screen monitor so I could get more on the screen. Well on Neweggs lists it screws up like most of the medias web sites. When I first saw in the listings on my new monitor, I had 4 items across. Thinking, cool, with wide screen lets see more. Well when stretched it, at first it shows 6 across "Yes" then crap it reformats back to 4. Well I guess I should pack this 24" monitor and send it back as I still get the same lame 4 items across. Go to CNN, Fox, Reuters et-al and you will see that the column size never changes. These sites are stuck in the early 1900s with printed news paper like you might find in Grammie's attic along with phonograph records. Back to NE, it must be a problem selling stuff in more than 4 columns. Why someone went the extra wasted mile to write code to reformat the columns is beyond me.

Second, you mixed CPU brands, that sucks like mixing Coke and Pepsi.
On the guided search, list AMD and intel as options with Desktop, Server etc. I sometimes like to see all lines together as the 1000 series are socket AM2/3 also. I would use the filters and advanced but some items are missing due to grammer issues or mis-labeled specs on the site such as Athlon 64s were 2000MHZ FSB but in some cases listed incorrectly as 1000MHZ or some cache sizes get jumbles as either 2MB or 4x512 for the Phenoms as examples.

You would honestly think about taking a 24" monitor back because newegg.com does not show as many items across as you would like?

Do you realize that most people do not own 24" monitors therefore things are not optimized for that size?

You would honestly think about taking a 24" monitor back because newegg.com does not show as many items across as you would like?

Do you realize that most people do not own 24" monitors therefore things are not optimized for that size?

No, I still have the 24 bit but almost everyone I know has at least a 19-21. It's just crazy that the site reconfigures the cell configuration when it is not necessary. Can some show me it is FireFox fiddling with those bits?

Not very many sites reformat for width. Some just stay the same width and show more of the background color (Hardocp does this) some stretch the image spacing but show no additional info (Newegg) some however are getting there, Techreport has a 'stretch' option which really just repositions how items are displayed but it does show more per screen. The less media-rich a site is the more likely it is to stretch, Wikipedia stretches text for example so you can get more info on one screen.

If you want my conspiracy-theory idea, stretching content would give proportionately less paid ads and that's why websites would rather not do it. That doesn't explain why a shopping site doesn't update.

And yea I don't think Newegg or news sites not showing it is a reason to return it in itself...unless you were hoping that it would really speed up your shopping experience!

Back