• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Belkin paying customers for positive reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
Belkin's lead online sales representative has been caught paying customers to leave positive reviews on amazon.

Bayard instructed the people he was paying to 'Write as if you own the product and are using it... Mark any other negative reviews as "not helpful" once you post yours.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/17/166226

I think it is time that the community retaliated. Have you left your negative Belkin review today?

Actually, we had a really horrible USB wireless dongle. Always disconnected and was a PITA to setup.

One of the few parts I got that was DOA ever(or maybe the only one, trying to remember if there was anything else) was a Belkin 4 port USB PCI card. Whenever I plugged something into it my computer would instantly bluescreen, and Belkin customer support was no help. Now I try to avoid them, but still end up buying a $3 cable from them every now and then (only if it's the cheapest available.)

I still have to laugh at the one time I bought a male to male mini stereo jack from them (it was from CC and I needed it fast, hate me later). They had a 6ft long one for $10, just your basic cable. Right next to it, they had the same exact 6 foot M to M mini stereo jack, only it was white and the package said "For all types of Ipods." $39.99. I don't know if it was Circuit City that was taking advantage of the "Everything I buy for my Ipod must be certified for Ipods" crowd, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did turn out to be Belkin.

(Sorry for the random rant, been waiting to get that out for a while.)

Eh, belkin has been good to me except for the USB wireles dongles, they did suck.

But i have two belkin routers which are pretty damn good, but some belkin products are real downers.

Eh, belkin has been good to me except for the USB wireles dongles, they did suck.

But i have two belkin routers which are pretty damn good, but some belkin products are real downers.

Well, maybe it was just me then (goes to show that first impressions are everything.)

My Belkin wireless N router occassionally loses the internet connection. Internal routing continues to work fine (could be because I have all the PCs connected to a gigabit switch). Rebooting the router magically makes the internet come back online (despite the cable modem indicating it was never offline to begin with). Belkin will probably try to blame the internet for being down. :p

My Belkin router died yesterday after about 5 years of faithful service. I figured that was long enough that I wouldn't care if the cheapest one they had at Target was Belkin. It was, $35 for a 4 port wired/wireless router. Good enough.

If I had seen this beforehand, I probably would have gone with another brand.

Belkin's president issued an apology for it's marketing policy, saying that the actions of the sales lead was not representative of the company.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/20/0146212

But keep in mind, this is the same company that sold the spam router, a router that 1 in every thousand page requests was redirected to one of their ad sites, and this fact was absolutely not disclosed to the customer.

I think it is safe to say that Belkin hasn't changed much.

Meh, lame but I know that Belkin isn't the only company that tries to juice reviews in one way or another. Posting negative reviews as some form of retaliation isn't the thing to do either, just don't buy anything from them.

It was kind of a knee jerk response. Posting a negative review on a specific product may not be right, but I viewed it more as a counter-balance than retaliation.

Meh, lame but I know that Belkin isn't the only company that tries to juice reviews in one way or another.

Yeah, that must make it ok.

I didn't say it was ok did I? It's just not something I'm going to get the e-pitchforks and torches out for, just don't buy from Belkin if it upsets you.

A while ago, in 2007 or 2008, someone that I was staying with gotten a Belkin router and the DNS settings are messed up out of the box and failed to save the settings when unplugged until tinkering was done, possibly it was a firmware update that fixed it, but can't confirm that it was the firmware.

One of the worst.
I kept getting an error that the web site don't exist, when it does! :mad:

Back