• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wisconsin Winter Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fusion509

It is offical that -11degrese fahrenheit is the best cooling system. My friend put his computer in his crawl space by his room and got his cpu temps at full load 6 degreese celius. his system is a Q6600, 2 8800 gtx 640 mb, and he improved his 3d mark 06 score by 4000 points. He was able to keep his gpu temps at 16 degreese celius idel.

COLD DAYS RULE!!

It is offical that -11degrese fahrenheit is the best cooling system. My friend put his computer in his crawl space by his room and got his cpu temps at full load 6 degreese celius. his system is a Q6600, 2 8800 gtx 640 mb, and he improved his 3d mark 06 score by 4000 points. He was able to keep his gpu temps at 16 degreese celius idel.

COLD DAYS RULE!!

You guys are too much! :clap: :thup:

Hehehe last year I took my P4 to 3.6GHz at 3*C :D couldn't bench it tho cause the GFX card was blowing up. I just opened the window and stuck my computer up to it.

The ghetto extreme "open window" method does work. I did it last year when it got below 10*F here. It was around 0*F yesterday and I thought about dragging the entire system outside again just to do some benching. :beer:

A few years ago here in Wi, I was watercooling. I thought why not open the window and see what temps I can get. At full load my temps were 0c, no idea about idle has my compu-nurse once it hit 0c it flipped out.

lol ... you should just do what I did and put a small rad you can stick out the window at the end of your rig

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,813
colorado gets punty cold. talked to the room mate bout maken a plexiglass glass window for my room and putting a rad in it. I sure i could have my q6600 running at 4.0G 24/7

UPDATE:
It is starting to get cold here in Wisconsin. I might have some time to get some pics of my WWC setup and results. Temps in my area look like high 20s low 30s.:D

Toss some antifreeze (or alcohol, but that might eat the tubing) in there and go for sub-freezing cooling :D

I to will be WWCing within the next couple of weeks maybe even this weekend so results will be coming soon.

The temperature forecast for this weekend is high of 9 degrees Fahrenheit and -3 as the low. It looks like this weekend is my opportunity WWC.:D

UPDATE at this moment compwizpro and I are WWCing and getting great temps. The temp out side is 35.4f but is droping.

Last edited:
Well its a little bit late to be doing this but i have been very busy recently, but here is the results of the WWC that happened last weekend. It was a little disappointing because the temp outside was 35f. Never the less it was kinda cold.

First here is the setup on compwizpro's porch. My comp on the right his left.
p1020021j.jpg

By fusion509, shot with DMC-FZ18 at 2009-12-19

Here is the temp outside.
p1020027hf.jpg

This is compwizpro's WWC power supply because when he overclocks his psu does not have enough Amps to power his graphics card.
p1020030z.jpg

Here is me running gputool to overclock my cards. Nice thing is my temps never when above 22c for my 2 cards.
gputool.png

Had to take off that side panel to check for condensation on the hdd.
p1020023.jpg

Good old 3dmark 06!
p1020032t.jpg

I know that theses are not the best but here are some other benchmark results.
3smark2005test1.png

By fusion509 at 2009-12-19
3smark2001test1.png

3dmark2006test1.png

Hopefully we will be doing some WWC over the Christmas break. The weather still looks like it will be in the 20s-30s. So more will be on its way.

I know what you mean. If I was closer or had a wireless card or cat5 that long my pc would be in the attic right now, or in the laundry room(insulated but not heated) it's like 30 out there, and at night it's lower. I also told my buddy I was going to put my pc in his garage during the winter old garage hardly insulated 30-40 in the winter.

Heh I benched one time when it was about -40 (C and F are the same @ this point ) I loved the -deg cpu temps The water ended up slushing up after a reset even with anti freeze in the lines =)

Back