• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to adjust voltage/amp to tec?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beingblueeyes

Registered
How to adjust voltage/amp to tec?
Im starting to do research on a upcoming project using a tec and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to adjust the voltage/amps to a tec so you could interne adjust the temp of it. I starting looking in to rheostat’s
but couldn’t find any that had a high enough amp rating, then I looked at light dimmer switches that had a rating of 600 watts (at 120 ac) so I dismissed that idea due to it melting from the diff in amps from 120 ac to 12v dc. Anyone have any ideas?

ive got an idea on how to do this and im running with it, ill let you all know how it turns out

Buy a PSU with an adjustable voltage output. Due to the fact that peltiers are a resistive load your current will be fixed but you can adjust the voltage and thus the heat output.

Thanks guys and gals for getting back to me. What I was trying to do is make a water cooler out of a 545 watt tec (16.3 volts) and a old c02 bottle (from paintball) to add to my coolant line to my cpu using a dedicated 700 watt psu to power the tec so I could keep the water temp 5-6 F above room temp
I controlled the temp of the water by hooking up a OE intel cpu fan (4 pin) and splicing into the 12v+ and going into the bois and setting the temp of the cpu to target temp 68F and the fan speed for anything below 68F to 0 % and anything above 68F to 100% fan speed, I then took the 12v+ signal from the cpu fan and hooked it up to a 40 amp auto relay (and used a 12v – from the 700 watt tec psu) to control the relay so the tec would only get power when the water was above 68F. It worked only marginally well and took up way to much space so I scraped the project

Back