• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5v rail TOO HIGH-is this ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newbie_Doo

Admin Parent
I have seen many questions regarding the 5V rail undervoltage problem on Enermax power supplies. I have an Enermax 431W PSU (EG465P-VE), but my 5V rail worries me because it reads TOO HIGH.

My 12V rail is reading low. Go figure.

Here are the readings:

Last edited:
That is way too high, I wouldn't run my rig with a 5V rail that high.
Did you check in bios? (hardware monitor).
Maybe its MBM giving false readings.

Silly of me to trust MBM...

According to BIOS, voltages are:

Core: 1.88v
+3.3: 3.37v
+5: 5.05v
+12: 12.40

Pretty big discrepancy from BIOS to MBM. Hmmm... now I wonder how to compensate for false voltage readings? Any ideas?

Anthony

Maybe you should try a newer (if you don't have the latest already) or an older version.

Right now I'm using version 5.1.0.2 and the readings are a lot better.
I had problems with a few versions, look at these readings (using version 5.09). 5C with only a PEP66...sure:p

Yes I did, and by the looks of it that is wrong,
the 12V is way to high and the 5V is to low, your BIOS gives you the readings at Full Load so don't trust MBM, I would just take heed of your BIOS.

Nick

Actually I think the second picture is fairly correct. My 12 Rail ran 12.75 for awhile as well, and the 5v seems correct if its folding.

Yodums

nick_cw said:
your BIOS gives you the readings at Full Load

Nick

No, it isn't Full load, but it isn't idle either (full load would be nice tho....20-21C):cool:
MBM tells me its 26C max. (Full load: running F@H, Playing MP3's and running 3DMark2001).
ButcherUK calculated what my temps would be with a 62WATT peltier on a PEP66 with Delta screamer, he was of by 1C, which tells me MBM is giving me pretty accurate readings.

nick_cw said:
I never trust MBM as its always wrong, trust your BIOS, or use a Multimeter for true readings.

MBM isn't always wrong, if its configured right it will give you pretty accurate readings, as it uses the same chip your BIOS does.
But I agree a Multimeter will give you the most accurate readings.
I also noticed MBM may give bad readings due to software conflicts (I had problems with several versions of MBM, but that also has to do with my MOBO...P3V4X).

Of course if you check a molex with a multimeter you will get a different reading. Theres resistance between the ATX connector and the voltage sensors on the MOBO.

Back