• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

US state department

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Hey, I am excited that I just got my new passport in the mail today, but I am a upset in a big way. In place of birth, it just lists the state, not the city like my old one I got in 2003 did. Instead of saying I am from Las Vegas, which is cool, it now just says I am from Nevada, which sounds like I live in some trailer in Pahrump. I am thoroughly disappointed and I think next time I get a passport it will be at the Spanish embassy in New York.

umm what is the difference? Do you often show your passport to random people and say that you are from vegas?

On a more technology-oriented note, does your passport have the rfid chip in it? Smash it!

Quail, how old are you? Most people born in Vegas up until the 90's I believe should have a 530 I thought?? 530 wasnt phased out until late 90's I thought, maybe im wrong though? AFAIK, 530 and 680 are the only 2 Nevadan's start with (my son, born in 2000, has 680, but my brother born in 1990 has 530).

umm what is the difference? Do you often show your passport to random people and say that you are from vegas?

If I was born in Podunk, Idaho I wouldn't care, but it makes for interesting conversation abroad. And, yeah, I do show it to a lot of people because that is my only valid form of ID in another country. Reminds me of the first time I wasn't carded, when I got beer in a London pub. It's more of a personal thing though. I love Las Vegas, even if I haven't been there in almost 2 years.

On a more technology-oriented note, does your passport have the rfid chip in it? Smash it!

Yeah, it does. I don't see what the big deal is. It can only be scanned at extremely close ranges, as in less than a foot.

Quail, how old are you? Most people born in Vegas up until the 90's I believe should have a 530 I thought?? 530 wasnt phased out until late 90's I thought, maybe im wrong though? AFAIK, 530 and 680 are the only 2 Nevadan's start with (my son, born in 2000, has 680, but my brother born in 1990 has 530).

I turned 22 a couple of weeks ago. I asked my dad about it and he said it was because they applied for it when my mom and I were staying with my grandmother for a little bit just after I was born because their apartment complex didn't allow children. It was in North Las Vegas if that tells you anything. :p

I don't think it matters for the "interesting conversation abroad" if I saw "Nevada" the first thing that comes to my mind is "Las Vegas"

As I'm not from the US, I have no idea where or what "Pahrump" is. Well, with out using Google. I think you'll find thats the same for almost everyone from out side of the US.

I don't think it matters for the "interesting conversation abroad" if I saw "Nevada" the first thing that comes to my mind is "Las Vegas"

As I'm not from the US, I have no idea where or what "Pahrump" is. Well, with out using Google. I think you'll find thats the same for almost everyone from out side of the USNevada.

Sounds like a city in Illinois or something to me, anyway.

Back