• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Tipple Channel DIMMs as Dual Channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shocker62

Registered
Ok so I really want to build an i7 system but being a poor College student it seems it might be a bit too expensive. So I thought why not just build a decent Q6600 system with a 790i and then upgrade toward the end of the year when i7 CPUs and MoBos are cheaper. So, in my ideal i7 setup I wanted to get a tripple channel Corsair DOMINATOR 3x2GB 1600 (PC 12800) kit. My question is, could I buy this RAM and then just use 2 of the DIMMs until I upgraded? The 790i supports DDR3 up to 2000MHz. However, I'm just not sure if, somewhere, there is something built into the RAM that says it needs to run on Triple Chanel. So what do you think, can I just use 2 of these DIMMs in my Q6600 setup until I upgrade to i7 or should I just buy seperate RAM for each setup. Basically I want as much of my hardware to convert to my i7 system so all I have to buy is a EVGA x58 Board and i7 920. Thanks for any help, peace.

Triple channel/x58/i7 is what allows lower vdimm to be used, you will you need to use more vdimm to reach same clocks as any DDR3 on i7/x58 platform. It should run but will probably have to crank up the volts past their rated specs.

thou the dominator ram is the Schiz-nitz! its a little over priced for what it is, i meen think about it. and if your getting a 920, you will have to do a light overclock to get it up to the 1600 speeds (920's run stock 1333 ram). If i were you i would hold out on your build, (even a "part" build) untill you get you main i7 stuff, it would gimp you in the long run on great combo deals you can get later if you pieced random stuff together now.

These new i7 can run in single, double and triple channel memory, so don't worrie about the need to get the triple channel NOW.

For now get a good power supply and video card (to hold you over) then get the rest later, mobo, cpu, ram.

Back