• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting DDR3 to 1600 in BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flynnstone

Registered
When i change the setting in my BIOS to DDR3 1600 and leave the voltage settings at auto, the adjustments which take place when i boot into windows are pretty high. When i check out the TURBOV setting the voltages are listed at DRAM 1.8 and the QPI DRAM setting at 1.35.. My GSkill RAM states the range to be between 1.5-1.6v's and i dont want to burn it up.

What should i set this at to run stable?

Thanks,

Matt

Which gskill sticks do you have? If you have the red sticks they will run fine. at 1.5. You set your dram voltage to 1.5 in the bios.

Which gskill sticks do you have? If you have the red sticks they will run fine. at 1.5. You set your dram voltage to 1.5 in the bios.

Yes they are the redsticks

5zjk9u.jpg

I've tried setting the DRAM Bus voltage to 1.5v and the QPI DRAM to 1.2 in the BIOS and windows will not load...

What gives?

Check you uncore it should be at 3200, up your qpi to 1.3. if that doesnt work try the memory oc to 1600 option . check what volts it sets your qpi too. I had those sticks when they first came out and they should run 1600 @ 1.5.

Try 1.6V just to test. I use 1.58V as my ram is overclocked, and it is still a safe voltage to use on this platform. But mine ran at 1.5V at stock fine. Have you checked the timings? Updated BIOS?
An easy way to do it is enable the EPP profile if that is in the BIOS.

Check you uncore it should be at 3200, up your qpi to 1.3. if that doesnt work try the memory oc to 1600 option . check what volts it sets your qpi too. I had those sticks when they first came out and they should run 1600 @ 1.5.

I ended up setting the DRAM Voltage to 1.55 and the QPI to 1.25 and windows booted. When i run memtest however it throws a few errors about 5 minutes in..I still havent moved the uncore from auto to 3200 however.

So are you saying these sticks should run at 1600 DRAM @ 1.5 and QPI at 1.2?

Try 1.6V just to test. I use 1.58V as my ram is overclocked, and it is still a safe voltage to use on this platform. But mine ran at 1.5V at stock fine. Have you checked the timings? Updated BIOS?
An easy way to do it is enable the EPP profile if that is in the BIOS.

I have not changed the RAM timings and the BIOS has not been updated since i purchased the hardware.

Did you run the DRAM at 1.5 and QPI at 1.2 successfully to 1600?

I ended up setting the DRAM Voltage to 1.55 and the QPI to 1.25 and windows booted. When i run memtest however it throws a few errors about 5 minutes in..I still havent moved the uncore from auto to 3200 however.

So are you saying these sticks should run at 1600 DRAM @ 1.5 and QPI at 1.2?

The kit I had did just that, however you may need to bump up the volts a bit for yours. Try 1.60 volts then run memtest. Once you get them stable you can start tweaking.

I had to enable the profile for it to set the correct timings, otherwise it was using its default which differs in some timings than the XMP.

Back