• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another submerge question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bjm2587

Hello, for my linux class we have a quarterly project that has to do with something with linux. Me and my friend, always wanting to build a submerged pc decided to run a linux box under mineral oil. I had a quick question, I've been studying the builds from toms hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/strip-fans,1203.html

and puget systems http://pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

And I noticed in toms build they said they had to seal the base of the cpu to prevent the oil seeping... Why? I dont think puget had any problems. Is it because toms used vegetable oil?

I'm also going to be using a copper heater core from a car for a radiator. It's about 9" long 7" high and 2" thick which should supply adequate cooling. Another question, just like distilled water can have impurities introduced that make it conductive, cant mineral oil have the same problem?

We should have the build done by next week. Anyone have any other tips?

No one has any ideas? I Dont see why I cant just submerge the entire thing. Making good progress, will post pics and any problems encountered.

I havent seen anyone do this in person, but the ones ive seen online have been fully submerged. Fans are still needed inside the case to move the oil around so no hot spots occur.

Fans will run inside the case? I didnt know they had near enough torque to churn in even mineral oil...

As far as tips and knowledge, I doubt anyone here has done this. The sites you have are all that I have seen. The submerged PC is a poor idea and doesnt cool that much better then water.

i wouldnt bank on fans working but some well placed cheap pumps would probs do it.

Fans need to be turned up to %100 and they will spin. Check out some videos on youtube. 120mm and the PS fan turn slow, but they turn. It's enough to get some liquid flowing around.

I'm keeping the cpu fan to circulate cool oil through the heat sink. I have a submergable pump that pumps the oil to a car heater core, like I said in my first post "It's about 9" long 7" high and 2" thick which should supply adequate cooling" I have two 120mm fans pushing air through the radiator. This will definately make a difference in temps as the oil wont just be sitting in one place in the container. The guys at puget used a radiator and fan set up and there temps dropped almost 50%. If you have any other doubts that fans would not run under oil or doubts on temps, radiator or not then follow the link in my first post to the puget web site. I'll even put a link here for your convenience. http://pugetsystems.com/submerged.php They have a FAQ section, read it if your interested.

I would like to keep this thread related to my original question or any encouraging statements or any criticism welcome. As for what you think would and wouldnt work look at the link first before you post...

I know there has been more than 1 attempt by people here at OCforums that have done this mod. I know most of them say it's really not worth the time/effort/money. I do really like the idea of a submerged computer, so let us know how this goes.

I know there has been more than 1 attempt by people here at OCforums that have done this mod. I know most of them say it's really not worth the time/effort/money. I do really like the idea of a submerged computer, so let us know how this goes.

Will do, this is for a school project. It's not going to be for long term. I'm confident my set up will keep the temps low. We kept everything under $100 so its not the prettiest but it's going to work.

Just be sure to post lots of pics. It is an interesting concept and I would like to see how yours turns out.

Sealing the CPU IHS might be what they were talking about. I personally wouldn't want oil seeping underneath the IHS, when you disassemble the machine you'll have an oil drip for days I imagine. I did this years ago with an Athlon XP and it ran well and it was the perfect way to insulate for sub-zero, I ran a single-stage with the evap dunked in the oil and I had no condensation problems. I did however have a ton of problems with the oil eating the insulation on the suction line, turned it into a tacky goop.

Back