• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a debit card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hajalie24

Ok so i need to buy some headphones and i don't want to bother my dad with ordering on his credit card so I'm thinking of buying a prepaid debit card but i got a question. Most sites require a ccv to order something, do they have them on there?

Yes they do. They look the exact same as a credit card and have an expiration date also. A friend of mine had one for a very short time. You have to pay a monthly fee on them if I remember correctly. One of the downfalls to convenience I suppose.

Can you get a bank account? That way you get a debit card which can be used as a CC pretty much any where that accepts the type of card (Vise or Mastercard.)

Why not just get a Visa/Mastercard GIFT card? They are capable of making purchases online/local stores the same as a credit card. You can actually acquire these at many banks.

Ok so i need to buy some headphones and i don't want to bother my dad with ordering on his credit card so I'm thinking of buying a prepaid debit card but i got a question. Most sites require a ccv to order something, do they have them on there?

How old are you? Get a checking account then you get your own debit card!

no stay away from debit cards. get yourself a saving account and start saving. Then maybe one day when you are 65 years old you will have enough money to buy a 100 core super semiconductor, 200gb of ram, 500TB hard drive space and a 0.0000001 Nm GTX 42000.

no stay away from debit cards. get yourself a saving account and start saving. Then maybe one day when you are 65 years old you will have enough money to buy a 100 core super semiconductor, 200gb of ram, 500TB hard drive space and a 0.0000001 Nm GTX 42000.

Yeah, all for around $6.

I've had difficulties with gift cards online.. Such as the Wachovia Visa Gift card. Anywhere that I tried to use the card, that didn't have a swipe, the card was declined. From pizza joints, to newegg, to paypal. I only ever got it to work when the card was physically presented, It wouldn't even work at the gas station pay at the pump.

If you are over 16 but under 18, open a joint checking account with your dad. You'll get your debit card, and there's plenty of programs out there that have little to no fees.

If you're over 18, open your own checking account.

If you're under 16, use prepaid visa giftcards.

haha

yea i think im just going to go to cvs or walgreens and buy a prepaid visa, thanks for all the replies

yea i think im just going to go to cvs or walgreens and buy a prepaid visa, thanks for all the replies

Be warned that some place, such as steam, I cold not get them to take the card online, probably could have if I'd of called them on the phone, but it is because the card has no "billing address".

With paypal you can use their virtual credit card number which is a nice up you d/l and install in your pc everytime you purchase it'll generate a new number and fill up your billing for you and will debit the funds from your account, which is pretty secure and is one thing that paypal has done right and free, you can also request a paypal debit card.

I got a Walmart Visa gift card for Christmas from my sister. It actually had a website that you could register the card with a billing address so that it could be used for online purchases. I had no problem using it at the EGG.

Back