• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill PI or Kingston HyperX ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghost.26

Registered
Hi guys.

It's finally this week that I decide which RAM I'll be buying.

Now it's between G.Skill PI PC2-6400 and Kingston HyperX PC2-8500. I would buy 2 kits for a total of 8 GB.

Both are at the same price. Newegg "seems" to have HyperX in stock.... I hope they will still have this kit in stock tomorrow...

Anyways, here is a little summary of both kits :

Kingston is 1066
G.Skill is 800

Kingston runs at 2.2v
G.Skill runs at 1.8v

Both has a good heatspreader, but there is a little advantage to the G.Skill.

Both has the same bandwidth at the same clock speeds.

Reliability and Kingston's legendary stability or lower voltage and heat ( and easier to manage for the northbridge ) of G.SKill ?

Note that I plan to overclock my CPU on a 450x9 bus configuration to eventually hit the 4 GHz. The G.Skill can overclock to 450 MHz without any problem.

My motherboard : Asus Technologies Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula / Intel X38 Express Chipset / ICH9R Southbridge / Intel 45nm Processors Ready

What's your point of view ??? Here is a review comparing the HyperX and the G.Skill : http://www.bigbruin.com/2008/gskillpi6400_5

Thank you very much.

Ghost.26

Last edited:
G.Skill too has a pretty good reputation ... That's why I'm so hesitating between both brand.

Remember it's 2 kit for a total of 8 GB. Two kits operating at 1.8v wouldn't be better than two kits operating at 2.2v-2.3v?

Earlier, it was clear : G.Skill. But now I've seen Kingston arriving in stock on Newegg and now I'm totally in a dilema.

GSkill bins their RAM very tightly. Don't assume an 800 kit will hit 1000 MHz. They are good quality, but be sure to buy the speed you need. I would go with the Kinston between those two.

+1

My gskills run incredibly solid at 800-875, but they refuse to do any higher.

NQ and PI Series are completely different too...

According to reviews ( based on December 1st ) the PI series can do the 1000 Mhz @ 1.9-1.95v with 5-5-5-15 timmings on a standard P35 mobo.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=674&pageid=3

I think I can expect at least 450 MHz with 4 sticks running at 4-4-4-12 ( at worse at 5-5-5-15 ) @ 1.9v on a Maximus Formula.

NQ and PI Series are completely different too...

According to reviews ( based on December 1st ) the PI series can do the 1000 Mhz @ 1.9-1.95v with 5-5-5-15 timmings on a standard P35 mobo.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=674&pageid=3

I think I can expect at least 450 MHz with 4 sticks running at 4-4-4-12 ( at worse at 5-5-5-15 ) @ 1.9v on a Maximus Formula.

If you're going to use an Intel processor, speed will benefit you more than tight timings.

That's what I read too. The PI 6400 likes better the CAS5...

I really can't decide myself on which kit to get...

G.Skill PI 800 overclocked to 900 using 1:1 ratio, lowest voltage possible, best heatsink and immediate shipping.
or
G.Skill PK 1066 using another ratio to hit the 1800 MHz FSB, 2.1v instead of 1.8-1.9v and Newegg shipping which seems longer for purchases in Canada.

Newegg doesn't have any more Kingston in stock... they never get the HyperX in sotck for more than 1 day.

This is not what I've already read ... Anyways. I'm hesitating between the PK 8500 and PI 6400.

Yes, but the PI are enough to hit 4 Ghz with my E8400 based on a 450x9 bus configuration.

I just want the best bang for the buck, the best quality for the buck. Not the one that overclocks the most or can break overclock records.

The Reaper are too pricey. 101 $ CDN with only one kit applying the MIR is totally out of by 17-years old budget ;) And 82 $ per kit for the PC2-8500 are also too pricey. And the 6400 kit doesn't seem to have the best reputation in overclocking...

What do you mean by more flexibility ? I don't expect to go farther than 450Mhz of bus speed, really. And the PI Series has a lot of voltage room.

Last edited:
The Reaper are too pricey. 101 $ CDN with only one kit applying the MIR is totally out of by 17-years old budget ;) And 82 $ per kit for the PC2-8500 are also too pricey. And the 6400 kit doesn't seem to have the best reputation in overclocking...

What do you mean by more flexibility ? I don't expect to go farther than 450Mhz of bus speed, really. And the PI Series has a lot of voltage room.

Flexibility to OC the RAM in the future if you choose to. You didn't say where you are from, or I could hve made this easier. These are the best value: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146726

Back