• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opening Power Source

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sushiman

I was wondering if it was ok to take out the power source components inside the PS case. I have already opened the case once before to replace the fan.... But I am designing a clear case and I want to paint the powersource... but i dont want to damage the components inside... so can i unscrew and remove it all? Am I going to fry myself? Its been removed for about a week now, so I wasnt sure about residual charges. A large consensus from users would be good... I dont watn to go on one persons recomendation.

Thanks,
Mark

Hehe, you are going to get all kinds of opinions about this...I would defer to Hoot, who is good at this sort of thing.

Another idea...if you just want to paint it, just tape off the vents from the inside... That way, you don't have to mess with it too much, but can paint it.

I have safely done exactly what u r asking. It just needs to be totally discharged. I had mine unplugged for a few days like you, and I touched EVERYTHING in there, being intentionally wreckless, just to try and make it shock me. It didn't. You can then unscrew the board from the floor of the psu. Most psu's I've mucked around in still have a soldered connection to the main power plug, so the board can't get too far once you've unscrewed it. I was able to get the board away from the rest of the psu case enough that I could wrap the board in a paper bag to protect it while I worked on the psu case.

ok, well as long as you stuck your fingers everywhere first =P I'll let it discharge a few more days (just in case) and then do what i need to do with it. Thanks for the response

There are some serious capacitors in there that can give you a big belt. There is a lot of controversy about this but given the right kind of conditions they can do some serious damage. The wise thing to do is disconect the mains supply and then hit your power button. I know with mine there is still sufficient charge there to get all the fans spinning. Generally that should discharge the caps. The wise thing to do is to wear a pair of rubber gloves, like washing -up gloves, and some rubber soled shoes and you shouldn't have a problem even if there is residual charge.

Tiger said:
There are some serious capacitors in there that can give you a big belt. There is a lot of controversy about this but given the right kind of conditions they can do some serious damage. The wise thing to do is disconect the mains supply and then hit your power button. I know with mine there is still sufficient charge there to get all the fans spinning. Generally that should discharge the caps. The wise thing to do is to wear a pair of rubber gloves, like washing -up gloves, and some rubber soled shoes and you shouldn't have a problem even if there is residual charge.
I human body runs on electric signals anyway. I say go ahead and try to overclock yourself:D

Back