• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap mobo with on board video, still OC'able

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

I'm interested in a cheap ($120 or less maybe?) mobo with integrated video and decent OC ability. I was looking at the 9300/9400 chipset and also the X4500HD. Not for gaming (obviously) but for general HD video use, things like that. I don't need HDMI, DVI is fine. I notice many of them are mATX which is fine also. I'd prefer firewire but it is not a must.

This would be paired with an E5200 for hopefully decent speeds on the cheap.

I was considering maybe the MSI P7NGM, or the EVGA 113-YW-E115-TR (longest name ever?).

I haven't really considered much in the way of AMD solutions, due to wanting the E5200. But I suppose I might if someone can make a case for something like an X3 8450, as they seem to have some nice boards like the HD3300 and such.

Or am I going about this the wrong way? Should I be getting a cheap video card seperately (HD 3450 maybe?) and a decent budget OC motherboard? I'm confused but I need to oder soon, maybe tomorrow, as my current setup is rapidly dying.

That's actually a horrible board. The PCIe slot is only x4 meaning if they ever want to upgrade video down the road, it's going to be hamstrung..

To the OP, I'd get the EVGA if you have a full size case, or the MSI if not. Both of those are decent boards. If ya can afford $20 more, grab this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128363 to bump up to the 9400 IGP and a slightly better brand..

Thanks, I had been looking at that Gigabyte board too. So nobody thinks I should go AMD, huh?

Or would there be anything wrong with the above linked Gigabyte board paired with a >$50 fanless video card? There are plenty out there, like 8500GT, 3450, 4350, 4550, 9400GT, etc etc. As long as it helps with the occasional HD video that I might play, it's good enough.

Or would there be anything wrong with the above linked Gigabyte board paired with a >$50 fanless video card? There are plenty out there, like 8500GT, 3450, 4350, 4550, 9400GT, etc etc. As long as it helps with the occasional HD video that I might play, it's good enough.
I have that board and the on board will do DVD movies.:soda:

Thing with that board is it's got the ICH7 southbridge. If ya aren't doing any RAID or anything, why not save a few bucks..

Last onboard intel I used was a G33, and the lack of overscan correction ade it unusable as an HTPC motherboard. I would definitly go with either an nViida or ATI IGP.

Nothing wrong with An AMD setup either if you are looking at saving some money. Works great for everything I do. Have one in my gaming rig, my HTPC and my "business" rig.

780G or 790GX will rock the house.

Since you postedin the Intel section though, I thinkwe know what you want to get.

So go with an nViida for onbaord, or get a nice cheap p35/45 and a cheap vid card as mentioned. It will run better than the all in one soltion, but will cost a little more.

edit: wasnt nViida supposed to start putting an IGP on EVERY motherboard? Whatever happened to that?

Last edited:
So this is what I'm deciding on, going to place order soon unless somebody changes my mind or I stuble upon something better. All from newegg.

MSI Radeon HD 4350 256MB or 512MB (within $1 of each other, both fanless) = $36 - $10 MIR
OCZ Fatality DDR2 2 x 2GB 1066 = $60 - $40 MIR
ASRock P43Twins1600 = $80
E5200 retail combo with Rosewill RG530-2 PSU = $113

That will update my old 939 system quite nicely, and be more quiet than my current PSU and loud 6800GT.

Thoughts?

ASRock P43Twins1600 is a hassle to overclock, and a dual slot video card will block Jumpers;)

FSB1 Jumper
(FSB1, 3-pin jumper, see p.11 No. 34 or p.12, No. 33)
FSB2 Jumper
(FSB2, 5-pin jumper, see p.11/12 No. 9)
FSB3 Jumper
(FSB3, 5-pin jumper, see p.11/12 No. 9)
When you mount a FSB800 or FSB1066 CPU, and try to overclock to FSB1333
orFSB1600 (by BIOS setting) you may face the problem, that DRAM frequency will
beoverclocked very high. Please use jumper to force NB to be strapped at
higherfrequency, so the DRAM can work at lower frequency.

i would go with the gigabyte es2l that wingman suggested. I have it and it OC greats.
with good cooling i could probably take my e5200 to about 3.5 with my ram.

Get good ram as well. I suggested the G skill in my sig. but get the 4Gb cus it is pretty cheap now.

i would go with the gigabyte es2l that wingman suggested. I have it and it OC greats.
with good cooling i could probably take my e5200 to about 3.5 with my ram.

Get good ram as well. I suggested the G skill in my sig. but get the 4Gb cus it is pretty cheap now.

I agree, if you're going to get a seperate video card, that Gigabyte board is a much better idea than an Asrock.

I agree, I was mixing the ASRock board up with another of their models that included the wifi card build in.... but I think I will go with the GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L. I'm just looking at a few other things I might need, then I'll order. Thanks everyone!

the es2l only takes DDR2800 ram so you would not be getting the full potential but i assume that it will oc better so you can get even more out of the e5200.:attn::attn:

Plus at the price it does not really matter.

I agree, although I have a strange urge to try a Phenom 9600. I know performance is not as good (although I can't find a link to any charts or comparisons featuring both, since one is older than the other), but they have nice 780G chipset boards with built in decent IGP (Radeon HD 3200) for really cheap. But I'm going to resist that temptation and go E5200. I haven't owned an Intel chip in a long time, and I'm due.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I forgot to put in my order last night and some of the rebates and things expired, so I switched it around a little. I'm now getting:

E5200 (retail)
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
G.Skill DDR2 1066 2X2GB
Asus Radeon HD 3450 256MB (fanless)
Corsair CMPSU-550VX PSU

Keeping my HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 320GB and an older PATA 60GB backup drive, Antec case, BenQ DVD burner, etc. This should be a big improvement from my old setup which was a 939 X2 4200, ASRock Dual SATA2 motherboard, 1GB Corsair PC3200, Antec smartpower 330W, and an old 6800GT. Quieter too.

How fast have you folks gotten your E5200s? I hear plenty of people easily get 3 to 3.5 on stock cooling.

Back