• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my RAM is holding me back

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

teddythetwig

I have been trying to stabilize my computer to no avail. Changed Vcore, NB/SB Voltages and RAM Voltages. Set the DRAM settings to their stocked speeds and even looser. My CPU is at stock speed. Whenever I run Prime95 all four(4) cores fail immediately on the blend torture test, but when I run small FFTs, it runs indefinitely. I think that my RAM is causing it to fail. For reference I'm running two(2) sticks of OCZ Gold 1gb 5-5-5-15 and two(2) sticks of OCZ Gold 2gb 4-5-5-15. It's running on the system in my sig. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and verification that my RAM inhales sharply and creates suction would be helpful.

I have gotten 3 sets of OCZ ram that do not run at stock settings without errors. You may want to run Memtest86 and see if that's the issue.

Good luck with it!

R7 :beer:

I ran Memtest and figured out that one of my sticks is completely fubar. After trying with the remaining sticks to run a FSB of 400Mhz they fail miserably, I'm thinking I just have to get a new brand. Gonna run them through a long Memtest first though.

Bingo! I'm sorry to say it, but OCZ is not what it use to be. At least you've figured out the problem.

R7 :beer: (Hey, it's noon somewhere!)

i have to agree with rseven, ocz is a total steamig pile. i kid you not, out of the 4 sets that i have used over the years, only 1 set was good. and by good i mean ran at stock speeds just fine, even oced a little too. i personally wouldnt buy from them again.

I recently got my ocz gold ddr3 1600 triple channel kit and it is not stable anywhere near its rated speed even at 1.66v. I think it is the reason that my oc is not able to go higher than 4.0ghz (19x211) even with sloppy timings and a 6x multi. Thats right 1600mhz rated mem only stable at 1266mhz. HOGWASH I TELL YOU!!!!!!

Now I need a new 6g triple channle kit. Bummer.

Well it turns out that only one of my sticks is not performing like it should. And by that I mean it is completely destroyed. I'm not really sure what happened to it but it doesn't pass inversion of 00000000 which is the first test in memtest... oh yeah it won't pass anything after that either. Darn, now I don't have an excuse to get a new brand cause I still have a set of working sticks.

Each of the two times I was at Fry's returning bad OCZ RAM, I met another person there doing the same.

JW, has anyone ever tried to get a rebate from OCZ before? It is impossible. I sent them the original UPC barcode after I bought my RAM and they sent me a postcard saying it wasn't the correct one. Now I don't have anything to send them...

JW, has anyone ever tried to get a rebate from OCZ before? It is impossible. I sent them the original UPC barcode after I bought my RAM and they sent me a postcard saying it wasn't the correct one. Now I don't have anything to send them...

I have gotten their rebates, but I know their are a lot of problems with them. Of course, this is not their fault either. I am awaiting two rebates on the last two bum sets of ram I purchased. I hope I live long enough to collect it.

R7 :beer:

Back