• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help choosing Speed and Amount Of Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nature41

Registered
Hi and Thanks for viewing.

I am building a new system and want to max out its efficiency and speed by putting be fastest and most ram on my Mobo it will handle. I am wanting a Asus Rampage II Extreme and would really like to put 12 Gb on the board filling a 6 memory slots with 2 Gigs each. How can I find out what is the fastest ram I can use. The board states this. for my motherboard

Memory

6 x DIMM, Max. 24 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Triple channel memory architecture
* Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
**Due to Intel spec definition, DIMMs of DDR3-1333 or above are out of spec. Please refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL(Qualified Vendors List).

The ** scares me does this mean that any DDR3 that is over 1333 speed can not be used????? I want to go with 12 gigs of DD3 2000 (PC3 16000) is this possible and if not what do any of you recommend??????

THanks

Davd:confused:

You can run faster ram than 1333, that is a disclaimer more than anything else.

When selecting your ram keep in mind the max long term voltage you are recommended to run is 1.65V. Reason is the memory controller on the chip can't handle anything higher over the long term reliably. This is going to limit your choices pretty severely. Right now I only see on 6GB kit on newegg at that speed with that voltage, a set of kingston's. I haven't seen anyone try 12GB's at that speed, good luck. Just be careful with the voltages.

Back