• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Question board Support.....Advice is needed....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mortta

Hello,

I have an HP workstation xw4400.
I run a few intensive apps and now require a bit of boost.......I have run CPUZ and got the following info:-

Intel Pentium D 3.4Ghz
Socket 775 LGA
65nm
FSB 800MHz
Core Speed 2400MHz
i975X chipset

Now i've looked in the bios, there are no setting at all to overclock.....so basically I'm stuck with buying a new CPU. So my question is even though my FSB is at 800MHz can I place in a CPU that runs at 1066MHZ?

Many thanks

Mortta

Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

It's not the cpu, it's the motherboard that doesn't have the ocing options in the bios. You'll need a new board, not cpu. You can reuse the cpu in the new board.

Its recognized as a Pentium D 3.4Ghz, and core speed is listed as 2400mhz. That could need corrected if the reading is accurate.

Hello All,

Thanks for such a warm welcome.....I've attached a screen shot from CPUID, the app I'm running is HyperChem.....Molecular modeling program, and the reason for asking is they a friend of mine has just upgraded his PC and is offering me his Q6600 for £50. I don't want to waste money by him posting it across from the states to me if it does not work. So you have guessed it, I'm a student with little money. I thought for the money I could get a very good boost.......

Also why is the core speed at 2.4GHz?

Thanks

Attachments

• cpu1.jpg
    cpu1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 118
Hello,

I have an HP workstation xw4400.
I run a few intensive apps and now require a bit of boost.......I have run CPUZ and got the following info:-

Intel Pentium D 3.4Ghz
Socket 775 LGA
65nm
FSB 800MHz
Core Speed 2400MHz
i975X chipset

Now i've looked in the bios, there are no setting at all to overclock.....so basically I'm stuck with buying a new CPU. So my question is even though my FSB is at 800MHz can I place in a CPU that runs at 1066MHZ?

Many thanks

Mortta

I don't think HP has a bios update for your motherboard to support Q6600 CPU, it won't post

First of all thanks to Nebulous, I.M.O.G, lokie, cyberfish and Wingman99 for your comments. Cyberfidh was right my board does support 1066MHz (confirmed with HP)

Top draw chaps.......Thanks

The release notes of the latest bios state the following, and it was released Oct 1, 2008:

ENHANCEMENTS:
The following enhancements have been made to BIOS version 02.05 since version
02.04 (SP37597) was released:
- Includes the most recent CPU microcode updates.
- Improves the security of pre-boot authentication (BIOS-based) passwords by
clearing data from volatile memory.

The Q6600 has been released since April of '07. I would think this means the CPU should be supported. To make certain, it wouldn't hurt to contact HP.

Back