• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking to 1066 streams memory errors.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

valros

Ok, so im new to overclocking, built this rig to run with 1066 memory, up until recently I havent given any thought to the speed of the RAM, however digging in the BIOS I changed the memory clock from Auto(was running at 400MHz) to 533Mhz, doing so causes memtest86 to continually stream errors. The build should be set up for this:

Mobo ASUS M3A78-EM
CPU AMD 9850-Black Edition
RAM 2x2gb G-Skill DDR2 1066

If not a hardware fault then It might be the slots that the sticks are it, truthfully I have no idea how the sticks should be arranged. Right now I have the cards in the first and third slots from the CPU, with the first two slots yellow and the second two black. Any insight onto this and anything to inform me about the slot arrangement.

dimm 0 and 1 should be ,which is 1 and 3 lol

you might have to up the voltage since you increased the speed to 533, or loosen timings to what the sticks are rated at

Eh, I got little from that post, explain the DIMM slots, it goes 0-1-2-3? Which two should I be using?

And which timings, Im busy ATM but the BIOS has options for about 8.

You may be able to use the slots in any combination with the two sticks but to run them in dual channel mode you need to have one stick in each channel. Theoretically, dual channel mode is twice as fast as single channel but in real life computing probably makes little or no difference. Consult your mobo manual to see how that plays out with the color coding of your ram slots. With some boards the the slots to use for dual channel with two sticks will have the same color but for others they will be different colors. You may need to set dimm voltage and timings manually in bios to make them work at 1066 speed as many mobos do not correctly detect those things in auto. If your bios has a EPP mode in the dimm section you can activate that. Then in windows you can use CPU-z Spd tab to see what the manufacturer recommends for voltages and timings at various memory speeds.

Last edited:
Back