• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get my RAM to DDR2-890...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Here's my RAM label:
9r7evs.jpg
I'm not sure what the stock voltage is, so I use 1.920v

I've been tryin to mess around with the RAM so I can get my E8400 to 4GHz with a 1:1 ratio.

First thing I tried was increasing the speed only, 800 to 890. No Boot.
Next, I tried incresing the voltage to 2.085v too. No Boot
Then, increased the voltage to 2.178v. No Boot.

After that, I changed the timings to 6-6-6-18, and went through the voltages again. No Boot.

Is there any thing else I should try?

My motherboard officially supports up to DDR2-800, but I've seen a few reviews of my board using DDR2-1066.
I was planning on upgrading my RAM to 2x2GB DDR2-1066 for OCing my CPU, now it's looking like I might have to buy a mobo just to get a RAM upgrade...

First try to set the CPU multiplier at 6, to eliminate CPU.

Then I would run it at 200 FSB, with a multiplier of 2 (so RAM runs at 800), to eliminate the motherboard, and go up from there.

If you still can't go up... it's probably your RAM. Not much you can do except changing them.

The RAM works fine at DDR2-800, but if I increase the RAM any more I get no boot.

Post the VID of your chip (RealTemp--> "Settings" page--> Max. VID), whether it's a C0 or E0 stepping, and also all of your current voltages and RAM timings in the BIOS.

E0
Max VID 1.1875v
BIOS vCore 1.200v
CPU-Z Idle vCore 1.280v
CPU-Z Load vCore 1.216v

NB 1.748v

RAM Speed 800MHz
RAM Timings 5-5-5-12
RAM Voltage 1.920v

The RAM works fine at DDR2-800, but if I increase the RAM any more I get no boot.
At 200mhz FSB? Then I'm afraid there's not much you can do except buying new RAM, since you have gone through timings and voltages already.

The first thing I notice is the NB Voltage, which is way too high at 1.748v w/ an FSB of only 400MHz. Drop it back down to 1.200v (no more than 1.393v), leave the FSB - Memory Clcok Mode linked for the time being, increase the FSB to 420MHz (1680 QDR) for an effective 3.78GHz clock and 840MHz DRAM Frequency at 5-5-5-12, 2.0 Vdimm, and Command Per Clock (CMD) at 2T. You might also want to lower the Vcore slightly, so that the Core Voltage as shown in CPU-Z while running Prime is equal to or just slightly higher than the Max. VID. If all of the RAM sub-timings are set to AUTO, post a pic. of Memset showing all of the current timings.

At 200mhz FSB? Then I'm afraid there's not much you can do except buying new RAM, since you have gone through timings and voltages already.

Maybe I didn't understand your post clearly...

When you say 200MHz FSB you mean CPU at 800x6, right? Then start increasing my RAM from 800 to see if it'll get any higher?

i think u got the 2.1v type you can look it up anywhere! Google it. I have the 5 5 5 15 1.9v type and i can get 210fbs with 14.5x on a 5000+be and a m3a79-t deluxe. But right now i am running 205fbs with a 15x it running between 3.0-3.1+. Mine also have the volts printed on the sticker i think it sould be on the otherside.

The first thing I notice is the NB Voltage, which is way too high at 1.748v w/ an FSB of only 400MHz. Drop it back down to 1.200v (no more than 1.393v), leave the FSB - Memory Clcok Mode linked for the time being, increase the FSB to 420MHz (1680 QDR) for an effective 3.78GHz clock and 840MHz DRAM Frequency at 5-5-5-12, 2.0 Vdimm, and Command Per Clock (CMD) at 2T. You might also want to lower the Vcore slightly, so that the Core Voltage as shown in CPU-Z while running Prime is equal to or just slightly higher than the Max. VID. If all of the RAM sub-timings are set to AUTO, post a pic. of Memset showing all of the current timings.

I lowered NB to 1.393v, vCore to 1.175v (so its just above max vid under load), and RAM 5-5-5-12 @ 2.013v I didn't increase to 840 yet. I saved settings and restarted, everything booted fine.

I went back into BIOS and increased the FSB to 1680 which increased the RAM to 840. I saved the settings and exited, I got the "new CPU detected, ROMSIP table updating" msg, then a restart and a no boot after post.

I decreased the FSB back to 1600 (RAM 800). I saved the settings and exited, I got the "new CPU detected, ROMSIP table updating" msg, then a restart and booted to windows fine.

I'm not familiar with Memset...

I meant run the CPU at 200x6 (1200mhz), and the RAM on 2:1 divider (2x2x200 = 800).

The lowest setting I have for FSB is 533x6.

i think u got the 2.1v type you can look it up anywhere! Google it. I have the 5 5 5 15 1.9v type and i can get 210fbs with 14.5x on a 5000+be and a m3a79-t deluxe. But right now i am running 205fbs with a 15x it running between 3.0-3.1+. Mine also have the volts printed on the sticker i think it sould be on the otherside.

There's no voltage on the modules anywhere, so I searched Corsair's forums and found where a mod said they are rated 1.9v

It's quad-pumped. Set it to 800 then, and run 1:2 divider to run the RAM at 800.

That's what I thought you meant, so I tried running a 1:2 (890:890) ratio, but didn't get into windows.

Change tRAS to 15, tWR to 14, tWTR to 11, and tRFC to 54.

I only have 1-7 as options for tWR, so I put it at 7 and everything else as you said. I'm in windows posting this reply at 1680:840.

I should also note that without increasing my FSB/RAM I had a system freeze in windows with my lowered vCore from before (I use to have quite a few freezes and was told in another thread to increase it to at least 1.2), so I put it back at 1.2v (BIOS)

Edit: I didn't realize that I could change settings within MemSet, I was using BIOS. So I put tWR at 14 and got a freeze up before and after a restart with that setting. I changed it back to 7, and I've still had a couple of freezes within windows. I think I'm going to up vCore to 1.25 to make sure its not the low vCore issue still.

Edit: I think I found way I kept getting freezes after I "thought" I changed tWR back to 7...I can't change it back, MemSet won't save it if I change it back and neither will the BIOS...and I keep getting freezes...

I guess the freezes could still be the speed, 840, it just seems to be hit or miss on the freezes, I haven't been able to narrow it down to timing changes or speed change.

Last edited:
I've been searching forums for more threads about DDR2-1066 with the P5N-E SLI. And I've been seeing threads saying that since the board is only rated up to DDR2-800, when DDR2-1066 is used it can only run as DDR2-800.

So, I guess if I can't get my RAM to OC, then I'll just upgrade to 2x2GB 1066 and run them at 800 until I get a mobo upgrade.

Back