• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5K-E/WiFi-AP - Bricked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOner

Registered
Hi,
I have big problem with my main pc. I decided to format whole machine, install latest updates etc. but now i don't know was that bios update wise idea. First thing what i wanted to do, was updating bios to latest version. I have done this many many times and never had this kind of problem. So i started ASUS update utility in Vista and i had latest 1202 (2008/10/09) bios in harddrive.

bios.jpg
(This isn't my screenshot.)

Erase ROM and Flash ROM progressbars went good to 100% but when it tried to verify rom, it didn't succeed, so it stays at 0%. Then i exit this update utility and tried to start it again, but it says "Error bios not found", and i couldn't start that update utility again.

So i booted my PC. PC starts and when it _SHOULD_ show bios screen, it boots again.. and again.... and again... and again. So my system now just boots, starts, boots. I tried to remove CMOS battery, clear cmos, etc etc. Still this problem exists.

Is it now possible that now my mobo doesn't have bios at all and that is why it acts like it acts?

You might be able to recover it. Put the original motherboard CD into the drive
and try to boot. If your boot block is still OK (and it sounds like it might be),
Asus crashfree BIOS feature should reload the (older) BIOS which is on the CD.

Another option is to do the same thing, but with a floppy.

Even if your BIOS is hosed, usually the boot block (part of the BIOS) survives,
and you can still recover the motherboard. I had to use this technique on my old
P4P800 SE, as failed overclocking attempts would usually corrupt the BIOS.

Good luck.

Edit

If you don't have the original CD anymore, you can make one, but the BIOS filename
must be set to something the BIOS boot sector can find. (Don't remember what that needs
to be, but if you look up crash free BIOS at the Asus website, the info should be there.)

You might be able to recover it. Put the original motherboard CD into the drive
and try to boot. If your boot block is still OK (and it sounds like it might be),
Asus crashfree BIOS feature should reload the (older) BIOS which is on the CD.

Another option is to do the same thing, but with a floppy.

Even if your BIOS is hosed, usually the boot block (part of the BIOS) survives,
and you can still recover the motherboard. I had to use this technique on my old
P4P800 SE, as failed overclocking attempts would usually corrupt the BIOS.

Good luck.

Edit

If you don't have the original CD anymore, you can make one, but the BIOS filename
must be set to something the BIOS boot sector can find. (Don't remember what that needs
to be, but if you look up crash free BIOS at the Asus website, the info should be there.)
Thanks for the fast reply. I read this same thing from manual and tried to boot from original CD but it didn't help. Last hope is, that it boots from floppy.

If this doesn't help, i won't ever again update bios from windows :bang head

I think this mobo is totally bricked. I have tried to boot from CD, USB-drive. I don't know how i could do this with 1,44 floppy cause rom size is 2MB. GeFo doesn't show anyting on screen, cause this start, boot, start lasts about 2 secs.

try pressing alt+f2 on boot with cd and floppy in drive it looks for floppy first then cd hope this works for you.yes never update from windows to riskie use easy frash in bios so simple
Rich

try pressing alt+f2 on boot with cd and floppy in drive it looks for floppy first then cd hope this works for you.yes never update from windows to riskie use easy frash in bios so simple
Rich
I think its totally bricked. It trys to read cd and floppy but it still boots again and again. I tried to press Alt + F2, i also tried CTRL+ALT+DEL+Page Down (Found this from google).

I bought new mobo already P5Q Pro, cause my local dealer has them in stock. My last ace with P5K-E is to use PCI GFX card (Good old S3) and check that if it shows something.

Back