• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded ram but it won't bliddy work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rocket Man

Registered
I bought 4 sticks of 1gb pc2 9200 ocz reaper ram to replace the 2gb cheap ram i had before which was 2 x 1gb using dual channel.

"ram is easy" i thought. "just whack it in and the mobo will do the rest"

wrong.

i put all four sticks in and started xp and it made it right to the point of starting up and then resets itself. it would do this in a loop until you stop
(it worked in safe mode and system said that there was 4000mb of memory so it must be seeing all the ram)

i tried two sticks using two channels and it doesn;t even get to the bios page.

so i tried one stick in the first slot and it worked, so then i tried all the sticks individually in slot one and they all work. presumably then the ram is good.

it also works if you use two sticks in one channel (slot one and two).

i had a look in bios and couldn't find anything about setting up dual channel ram. i have read that you may need to update bios but this is a very recently bought mobo so i thought the bios would be up to this.

can anyone tell me what the hell is going on?

i'm sure the ram is compatible with the mobo and i'm am trying @BioS to update the bios but really i'm out of ideas.

Sounds like your RAM may not be getting enough juice to run stably.

Make sure your RAM is getting the minimum it requires to run properly.
And if you need to, add 0.1 more.

Since this is a GigaByte motherboard, you might need to press Ctrl F1 at the main
BIOS setup screen to see all of the advanced options.

Thanks for the reply but when u say juice do you mean watts or volts?

I have gone into bios and set the voltage for dram at 2.10 like it says on the packet

will let you know how i get on.

I have tried setting a higher voltage for the ram but it didn;t make any difference. I thought the mobo would do all that sort of thing on it's own when it's set on auto.

ok well i have tried increasing the voltage and i still have the same problem

When i look in MB Intellgent Tweaker i get to "voltage types".

First there is CPU then MCH/ICH.

MCH CORE 1.100v [auto]
MCH reference 0.760 [auto]

i presume you mean the core setting?? change 1.100 to 1.38 and then bump?

Sorry, I didn't clarify. My comment was pointed towards Rocket Man and I meant to ask for memory voltages.

i have the exact same ram
ocz reaper 4x1gb pc9200
mine works great at 1.95v
ocz has been having problems with there high speed ddr2 lately so that might be your problem
also most gigabyte boards are ddr800 standard i can see 1066 running 1150(yours and mine) but if your board is not 1066 or higher you have bought the wrong ram
ps my board is 1066 mem standard running 1150 perfectly

Well i tried 1.38v for mch core, tried 2 sticks in dual channels and i got an alarm on boot up. when i went back to bios it said there had been a overclocking failure and that the settings had been changed back.

one thing i have noticed is that cpuz says the ram is running at 533.

and when i look in SPD section it says the max bandwith of the ram is pc2-5300 - 333mhz. i dont get it why doesn't the mb recognize what the memory is?

Back