• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me with RAM overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlexCuria

I'm a total n00b in overclocking but would like to fiddle around a bit to get the most out of my PC. (Well not really, just mild OC).

I've already done some OC to the CPU and to the GPU and am happy with the results but I'm a bit lost when it comes to the memory.

Here are the specs of my PC.

MOBO: DFI Lanparty UT SLI-DR Expert (Socket 939)
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+ Venice @2.2 Ghz (OC'ed to 2.4GHz)
Cooling: Thermalright XP120
GPU: Club3D Geforce 7900GS (OC'ed to 525/715). Soon I will update BIOS to 7900GT version.
RAM: GSkill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ.

My doubts are that when I enter the timings in the BIOS I don't know if the changes stick or not. When I check the CPU-Z tool, the Memory tab and the SPD tab display different information. What is right?

The timings on the ram sticks are 3-4-4-8 but at what speed? DDR500? What happens if I lower the speed? Can I tighten even more the timings? Or is it better the other way around, loosen timings 3-5-5-10 and try to make them go faster like DDR520? :confused:

Thanks in advance if anybody can shed some light upon this.

Back