• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ben's Cheap Chiller (rev 2) [56k warning]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Old chiller - http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=581677&highlight=Cheap+Chiller

Some of you might have seen the first one I posted. That unit was smaller and looked to be less powerful, this new one I picked up (still free) looks to have more cooling power. A larger condenser, two evaporators (water cooler and fridge) and longer gas lines are handy too.

Stock photo (home from the trash)
DSC01268.jpg

Taking the top off...
DSC01270.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

Now, some of you might even stop before here and just stick a pump in that stainless steel bucket but I wanted the best possible setup of getting both the fridge evaporator and water bucket evap in my coolant tank.

DSC01272.jpg

With all front panels off you can see the fridge, water bucket, quiet piston compressor and the heating tank.

Condenser shot:
DSC01273.jpg

Getting the evap off the water bucket was simple, I just had to cut off the Styrofoam around it and pull the evap off over the top but getting one out of a fridge means making your basement a bit more messy.
DSC01275.jpg

And with a razor and putty knife, this is what you get in about half an hour:
DSC01276.jpg

Right now I have everything mounted again, but the heater is removed aswell as the water dispensing valves, top and fridge. Both evaps are in the lower half ready to be stuck into a cooler when I find one the size of the fridge that was in there. I'm thinking this chiller should work fine for a CPU as my last one did. I'll be posting updates soon and more pics. :santa:

Yeah, I know I was slow with the last one. But now if I have any worry that this one can't do it I'll have two chillers :santa2:

I say run them both into the same res to give higher heat capacity :D

Heres a shot of it now with a wooden top and stripped down to just the cooling parts.

chiller2s.jpg

The evap section is all in the bottom half, ready to be submersed in my coolant :santa: I just need to find a cooler (as in plastic insulated box for ice and drinks, not chiller) and test it. You can get these all over the place, check the electronics or fridge/AC section at your dump. I think people throw them away because the water dispensing part had a leak, the two I got were pretty wet inside but the coolers work fine.

Hopefully this weekend I can find a bucket or cooler that will fit well in that bottom section so I can have the whole evaporator underwater. Then I just need to put a piece of wood over the front and install a fan :)

Back