• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy on Crack?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they also had a 22" acer monitor sale for $50 bucks
sold out in minutes literally

i think their normal prices are insanely jacked up, but their sales are nothing short of amazing.. rocketfish (lian-li) full tower for what 60 bucks? :D

for us pros best buy seems like a rip off, money sucker etc etc with bad names. but they are not like newegg where they don't have to deal with customers. mostly everything with newegg is automated. but bestbuy has to deal with customers directly so that is 1000 times more employees to higher that means their net profit is less that is why they have to charge more. that is one example there are more... but i think you get the idea

I think it also had to do with the fact that most people looking for high end computer parts don't shop for them at Best Buy.

I only buy stuff from BB when I absolutely need it the same day

I tend to shop there when I need to test out a part for troubleshooting purposes lol that's when a CC comes in real handy. Or if I have a gift certificate.

for us pros best buy seems like a rip off, money sucker etc etc with bad names. but they are not like newegg where they don't have to deal with customers. mostly everything with newegg is automated. but bestbuy has to deal with customers directly so that is 1000 times more employees to higher that means their net profit is less that is why they have to charge more. that is one example there are more... but i think you get the idea

I'm sorry, I do understand what you are saying, but there is no way you can justify an over 400% markup on an item(as I'm sure is low comparatively to the rest of their inventory) just because they have stores and overhead.

We must also keep in mind that they buy everything in major bulk and, as such, receive deep discounts because of that fact(I'm sure).

Best Buy doesn't move products like they used to, so products such as these tend to stay high in value. This is common for brick and mortar PC stores. Inventory just doesn't move down like you see in Newegg, where their inventory... they hardly have any as their products tend to move rather quickly.

You want to see markup on computer hardware, go browse Dell and look at their hard drive prices for example. I was there browsing their website last night, and HD prices were insanely jacked up.

I bought the BFG 9800 GT OC'd edition just last week...

BB IS on crack for other reasons though, would NEVER shop there if my buddy didn't have the employee discount.

There are also alot of people still out there who don't trust the internet let alone using their CC to make a purchase - me personally I've saved thousands over the past 7 or 8 years buying off the web with relatively few bad experiences.

I bought my VR's at best buy because they were on sale at 200$ for the first one and 220$ for the second one. Worked out to be cheaper than buying them at the store. Same with my Caviar Black, I want to say it was 120$. Still cheaper than newegg even after the have it right now tax.

Best Buy been hitting the bo bo for years now. Geek Squad by my house needs a intervention bad.

Seriously best buy is not that bad. As an employee, I agree SOME of the prices are insane, like cables and some video cards. People who just shop online are just use to low price...like me... but as a local business in my town, they have the best prices.

I also noticed a long time ago that Best Buy's normal prices are ripoffs.. especially the DDR2 memories...

Their "sale" prices are about equal to the normal prices on Newegg...

I always drive to Fry's Electronics (14 miles from my house) for my hardwares. The prices there are pretty normal, not cheap, but not expensive either. IMO, you can only get cheap items online. However, nowadays I don't order online anymore, I like to get my items as soon as possible.

I also noticed a long time ago that Best Buy's normal prices are ripoffs.. especially the DDR2 memories...

Their "sale" prices are about equal to the normal prices on Newegg...

I always drive to Fry's Electronics (14 miles from my house) for my hardwares. The prices there are pretty normal, not cheap, but not expensive either. IMO, you can only get cheap items online. However, nowadays I don't order online anymore, I like to get my items as soon as possible.

Im with you there. I have no frys or microcenter. When I need something fast best buy is there for me.

Back