• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building New PC with D5400XS-- Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zandan

Hey there everyone.

So I just got a Intel D5400XS from my brother, was gonna sell it but thought I was gonna build a PC instead. I have a ATI Radeon HD 4800 and was wondering if that would be compatible with the motherboard I have?

And also I looked up the processors compatible with the motherboard and they are really expensive, is there any recommendation anyone could make of what I should do? The cheapest one I saw was Xeon E5405 but that's only 2.0 Ghz. I don't want the PC to be like awesome, just a very nice PC I could play games on and edit movies and such. So any suggestions on what processor I should get? Or if anyone know anywhere I could get a cheaper 2.5 Ghz or 3.0 Ghz. I was thinking of getting 2x 2.5 Ghz and that would just enough for me, but not sure.

Thank You

This motherboard has the full set of overclocking options and was designed around the QX9775 chip having a 400 front side bus (QPB 1600). So i would recomend two E5405 or E5410 and moving the FSB up from 333 to 400. So the E5405 would be 400x6= 2.4GHz and the E5410 would be 400x7=2.8GHz. Im not saying 400FSB is the limit, but it should be easy to obtain.

About the memory, you need FB-DIMMS for this board, which is generally server memory. To make this board shine you need to get DDR2-800 FB-DIMMS, the slower DDR2-667 FB-DIMMS are a huge performance hit. Also make shure u get CAS latency 5 or less, I looked around and CAS 5 was all i found. Each ram slot is on its own channel, so this board could do quad channel. Supposidly this board only has a 1:1 memory divider, so 400 FSB is perfect for DDR2-800 (2X400=800 hence Dual Data Rate). The ram will run warm so i recommend a ram cooler.

This board uses LGA 775 heatsink mounting holes, not LGA 771 like all other server boards. so you would need 2 high performance LGA775 air sinks I assume, best to look in the air cooling section about high performance sinks for quads.

This motherboard does support ATI Crossfire and Nvidia SLI, though not at the same time. so yes, your ATI 4800 will work fine.

I hope you have a power supply with two 8pin CPU power connector and is rated around 1KW.

Back