• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Celeron 2.6 Ghz (478 socket)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foamy11

Registered
Hey guys

I was wondering If you could give me some recommendations on Mainboards to use with this 2.6 celeron or even links on where to buy these mainboards.

:-/

Well, it'd pretty much be a matter of taking what you can get at this point, S478 boards are near impossible to find new, save for a couple pricey ones on Geeks.com. There's always eBay or Craigslist, I guess. I don't know whether your chip is a Northwood or a Prescott, so to be safe it might be best to stick with more recent boards that specifically list 'Celeron D' compatibility, and avoiding the 845 chipset entirely.

A consideration though: why are you trying to use that CPU? P4-based Celerons were utter crap even when they were new, and nowadays even a bottom-end Intel Atom system will wholly outperform that thing (and will consume a fraction of the power too). The cost of a new S478 motherboard alone is probably going to put you pretty close to the price of a more recent CPU/mobo combo deal, and if you have to add in RAM and a video card, it would be absurd not to just put together a better system to begin with.

Recommended 478 mobo,s

Hi,
This thread is now a little old but here goes with my "two penneth" worth!!
Funny really this post as I,ve gone myself full circle single core to two then to the ever popular Q6600 quad -back to 478 pentium 4 Why? you might ask ,well I may be old and perhaps a little "retro biased" but- isn,t it still horses for courses and do or did I really require that quad core rig.
I do believe that for what I use a pc for it was very much overkill so i went backwards and to 478 pc builds!!
I analysed my pc usage and yes they still fit the bill.
#1 asus vento case c/w BIostar P4M900 M4 & CELERON 2.66 cpu -DDR2 ram
#2 hp pavilion case c/w Asrock P4i65GV & PENTIUM 4 2.8 O/C,D TO 3.1mhz
this rig uses DDR ram
Both have 2gig of ram in their respective forms,
yes both mobo,s are quite expensive for their formfactor now -between £30 & £50 new BUT savings can be made on the cpu,s by buying s/h from car boot sales,A couple of quid for a slightly bent pin 478 cpu is nothing new to me so I don,t think £50 max is outrageous now for both.
So my recommendation to you and others is re-evaluate what you use the pc for and build accordingly and save yourself some hard earned cash.
My recommendation for what it,s worth is go with the Asrock mobo,I don,t need a sound card in the pavilion case the onboard sound thru my Hercules speakers is very good ,now that is something I do know about!
Oshimaida :screwy:

Back