• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 1600 w/ i7: Clocking issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mill

Registered
I just bought an i7 with 3x2gb DDR3 1600:

ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365
cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

I was warned that I might have trouble clocking the RAM up to speed because of the locked multipliers on the CPU. I did some research and found this:

http://forums.techarena.in/overclocking-computer-modification/1100397.htm

My intent is to clock my RAM up to default (1600) without overclocking my CPU very much/at all. Is the best way to accomplish this through the 'Ram' multiplier?

Are his analogies correct in that BCLK = FSB, QPI = CPU Multiplier, and RAM = Memory divider? Do I need to worry about Uncore at all?

What is the best way to go about clocking the RAM up to speed without a big processor overclock? It seems like dividers are totally mandatory due to the low BCLK and high multipliers on the CPU.

If these questions have already been answered, I'm sorry, but I looked around as best I could :)

Easiest way to get your memory running at 1600mhz is to just put the BLCK at 160 and the multiplier at 10. With a BLCK of 160 your CPU should be around 3.2 or 3.3ghz, which the stock hsf and voltages can more than handle.

Thanks guys. I read this post after I received and built the computer. What I ended up doing was increasing the memory divider so that it was at 1600 with the default QPI. Will a big divider like this lower the performance on my RAM?

uncore is for QPI that is what is the new buss for carring information from NB to cpu.

as already said up the QPI and use 10x multi on the ram. that will get it to stock speeds, if your worried about the cpu. you need to lower the cpu multi to either get it at stock/just above/just below.

this is a better read imo
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking_2.html

Thanks for the link. When you said use 10x multi on the RAM, did you mean processor?

well since i dont have my i7 board, i was going by what is in that link. actually the highest multi for the ram is 8x and lowerest being 6x. making 6x133.33=DDR3-800 or 8x133.33=DDR3-1066.

no performance will not be lowered at all with a higher multi...

How about trying 8x memory multi, 200bclk (may work with cpu voltage tweaks) and that will give you 1600mhz, as for the multiplier, 20x (19x with turbo) will give you 4ghz, nice overclock which most i7's reach if not try 18 etc. What cpu cooler do you have?

How about trying 8x memory multi, 200bclk (may work with cpu voltage tweaks) and that will give you 1600mhz, as for the multiplier, 20x (19x with turbo) will give you 4ghz, nice overclock which most i7's reach if not try 18 etc. What cpu cooler do you have?

I'm using the stock cooler unfortunately.

If my RAM isn't going to perform any worse with a high multiplier, what is the benefit of changing from 133x21 (~2.8ghz) with a 12x RAM multiplier (1600mhz) to a setup with lower multipliers and a higher BCLK?

edit: I've been hesitant to OC this thing right now because frankly, I don't see a huge reason to - it is ridiculously fast as-is. I guess there's no harm in a moderate OC. Maybe bump the processor up to 160x21 (3.36ghz), and drop the RAM multiplier down to 10x (1600mhz)?

The UD4P I have only allows up to 8x on a 940 ES, why do they all allow different multi's??? I only use a 10x on my G.Skill + Gigabyte extreme for 1740mhz...

So I tried a different OC setup last night and it sorta failed.

160 BCLK
20x CPU multiplier
10x RAM multiplier

Should have given me 3.2ghz CPU, 1600MHz RAM. When I did this setup, I never saw any video... just a black screen. I couldn't even get back in to BIOS, had to clear my CMOS.

I dropped the BCLK down to 150, same problem. Any ideas?

Make sure memory voltage is correct, or try up to 1.65V with manually entering timings. It looks to be the CPU or the memory causing issues, list of voltages used would be nice :)

@ Mill, what board are you using ?

EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039

Make sure memory voltage is correct, or try up to 1.65V with manually entering timings. It looks to be the CPU or the memory causing issues, list of voltages used would be nice

I'm almost positive the problem is my RAM, here's what I tried:

BCLK: 160
Multiplier: 20
vCore: Various values ranging from ~1.2 to 1.35

RAM Voltage: 1.65, 1.7, 1.75
Multiplier: 10
Timings: 8-8-8-24 (default)

No video when I tried this. I dropped the memory multiplier down to 6x, and it booted just fine. I even upped the BCLK to 175 and kept the memory multiplier at 6x, and it still booted.

For some reason, it boots just fine in the following settings:

CPU: 142x21, 1.25v
RAM: 12x, 1.65v, 8-8-8-24

So there, the RAM is over 1700mhz, but it boots just fine. Something about having the BCLK set to a higher value is making it fail. But if I drop the RAM multiplier to a really low value, it boots just fine, so it must not be the CPU. I'm totally confused as to why this is happening, any ideas?

No idea, looks like some sort of wall like my 780i had with cpu FSB, where it didn't like booting at a certain FSB but either side of that worked : \
At least you got it highger than rated speed, just be happy :D

EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039

I'm almost positive the problem is my RAM, here's what I tried:

BCLK: 160
Multiplier: 20
vCore: Various values ranging from ~1.2 to 1.35

RAM Voltage: 1.65, 1.7, 1.75
Multiplier: 10
Timings: 8-8-8-24 (default)

No video when I tried this. I dropped the memory multiplier down to 6x, and it booted just fine. I even upped the BCLK to 175 and kept the memory multiplier at 6x, and it still booted.

For some reason, it boots just fine in the following settings:

CPU: 142x21, 1.25v
RAM: 12x, 1.65v, 8-8-8-24

So there, the RAM is over 1700mhz, but it boots just fine. Something about having the BCLK set to a higher value is making it fail. But if I drop the RAM multiplier to a really low value, it boots just fine, so it must not be the CPU. I'm totally confused as to why this is happening, any ideas?

I have this board as well try upping your cpu vtt and qpi pll vcore.

Start with these settings fornm the EVGA forums:

Attachments

• voltagepc8.jpg
    voltagepc8.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 381
thanks to everyone for the help, I'll try those settings later today I suppose.

Back