• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with timings. Mobo defaults are wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ravaneli

I am working on my friend's rig now.

His memory is OCZ3G13332GK, which is a DDR3 that is supposed to run on 1333 Mhz, 1.7v with 9-9-9-26.

The CPU however is C2D E7300 which has native FSB 1066. So when I load the defaults in BIOS the memory defaults to 1066 and timings all over the place. But it runs OK.

However the CPU can OC like insane. And since the memory is practically underclocked I though increasing the FSB would be a cake. But no. Not at all.

The CPU has a multiplier of 10x with default FSB 266. The Ram runs on 1066 with that so apparently the divider is 4. I thought if I increase the FSB to 333 the CPU would be @ 3.3 Ghz and the memory should run on stock freq. Which my friend would be happy with.

But The mobo is AsRock P43Twins1600 and the timings settings are in different order. I don't know what da hell is tRas and etc. I am saying that because when I up the FSB to 333 the memory DOES NOT default to 9-9-9-26, and this is probably the reason for instability. Timings are all different and tighter.

Now, can anyone tell me which latencies I need to set to 9-9-9-26? I need names like tRas = 9 and so on.

Also, there are alot more timings anfter these 4. I don't even know what they are supposed to be. The manifacturer info doesnt mention. When everything is on auto the first 4 timings are wrong. Does that mean that the others are worng as well?

I am helpless here. Help appreciated!

If your timings are automatically being tightened I would assume that the frequency is running lower than stock, so your motherboard is compensating by tightening the timings. I don't remember all the RAM math myself, but I'm thinking that maybe you have something wrong with your divider calculations. I have no idea how the math works for DDR3.

At any rate, the timings should be in this order: CL, tRCD, TRP, tRAS, and CN or tRFC

So I think you want to have...

CL - 9
tRCD - 9
TRP - 9
tRAS - 26

Thanks. I will try those later.

On that mobo they are not in that order. I know because the 4th timing WOuld not go higher than 10. The second would go very high. I will see if I can find a print of the screen with the timings..

Anyone else with ideas, please shoot

Sandra should read the defaults on that memory and you can adjust manually from there.

Need more help folks. Cant get the damn system stable.

I played with timings all weekend and it just wont work when I increase the FSB from 266 to 333.

Here is what puzzles me. I had those 2 sticks of memory on my own machine first with a C2Duo E8500 which natively runs on 1333 FSB effective (333x4). The memory ran fine.

Then I take the memory and put it on my friends PC, which has a C2Duo E7300 which runs on 1066 effective (266x4). When I increase the FSB from 266 to 333 the effective clock for the memory becomes 1333 which is the native freq for the memory, but it won't work.

I do blame the system instability on the memory. I know the E7300 can go over 4Ghz so upping the FSB should be no problem for it...

Any explanations or suggestions?

It has been a long time since I played around in Intel bios But I would say off the top of my head that you need to change a divider

Well.. the Asrock mobo doesn't show divider, But with the E7300 shows 2 available clock speeds - 1066 and 800. I select the 1066, and with FSB of 266 that means the divider is 4, just like with the E8500 it is 333x4 = 1333.

I just assumed the divider was the same...

This makes sense. I made identical post in the OCZ forums and someone from the staff replied

When you overclock the FSB (when you have a 266 FSB CPU installed, 333 is an overclock) you overclock the memory controller. If the ram runs fine at 1333 with a 1333 CPU in, then the memory is not bad, you can't have memory that needs replacing just because you changed the CPU.

You are unstable due to the overclock of the memory controller on the board. Raise the NB Voltage.

Also, I am pretty sure that you will not see 4GHz on that CPU on that board, not all boards just overclock a CPU that well. You need to pick a board that is more overclocking friendly.

Back