• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP / Vista install issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markkk01

Biostar TPower I45 (BIOS 08.00.15), Intel Quad Core Q6600, Corsair 4Gb, Seagate 160Gb HD SATA, Sony Optiarc AD-7201S.

Brand New system, nothing on the HD and trying to install either Windows XP or Vista. On booting from the VISTA CD the screen shows the Windows is loading going across the screen, it then goes blank and then a nice black screen with a faded Microsoft Corp logo appears and it hangs.

Not sure if the Marvell RAID controller that comes up is causing the issue. Can't seem to find where to turn it off ?

If trying install of Windows XP then it does the usual (boots from cd, formats drive). When it starts to copy files, it also hangs. If it does finish then it hangs when trying to set-up the system.

So, all in all a great start to my first custom build. If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful. :confused:

Check on the Voltage Configuration menu in the BIOS for the current Vcore (CPU Voltage). Next take the CPU Voltage setting off AUTO, and set it to about +0.100v. Save and exit the BIOS, then re-enter the BIOS again to check the current Vcore. Adjust it as necessary to achieve about 1.3 - 1.35v, rebooting after each adjustment. Do the same w/ the DDR Voltage setting, except manually adjust it to achieve the Vdimm as specified by Corsair for your particular RAM... if 2 x 2GB sticks, it's probably around 2.0v.

Biostar TPower I45 (BIOS 08.00.15), Intel Quad Core Q6600, Corsair 4Gb, Seagate 160Gb HD SATA, Sony Optiarc AD-7201S.

So, all in all a great start to my first custom build. If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful. :confused:

Memory is probabily to blame. Make sure your motherboard is giving
the RAM the voltage it needs, and if you have to, give it +0.1 more
than what the ram specs. 4GB is quite a load to drive.

As the other poster mentioned, run memtest to make sure the memory is solid
before you try to install an OS.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will try everything suggested and will get back to you with results. Thanks again for the help.

O.K. All done and tested. DDR2 @ 1.98v (+0.100v) & CPU @ 1.33v (+0.125)

All 4 x 1Gb chips are O.K. However, if all 4 are in the motherboard then the computer hangs running the memtest program. I put 2Gb in all 4 slots and ran the tests for around 10mins each and they work fine. Then swapped over to the other pair of chips and they worked O.K. as well. Tried all 4 again in the motherboard and it hung on the memtest, weird.

Chips are CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 (CM2XX1024-6400).

So, I can install Vista or XP but ONLY with 2Gb !!! If anybody knows why it's hanging on 4Gb, please let me know.

Check to make sure the curent DRAM frequency is 800MHz, w/ the FSB at 266MHz, and using a 2:3 ratio (266/800 NB strap) w/ timings set to 5-5-5-18 (all sub-timings on AUTO). And I think default Vdimm for that particular RAM is 1.9v at 800MHz.

Thanks for the advice.
I have set the DRAM Freq to 800, FSB is at 266(def). Timing on the Configure DRAM Tmings By SPD, set to disabled and first 4 (tCL,tRP,tRCD & tRAS) set to 5-5-5-18 (was 15 on auto). The rest has been laft as default. DDR2 - 1.98v(+0.100v) CPU - 1.33v(+0.125).
MEMTEST with 4Gb in, now gets to 2% before it hangs ! Have I got that right ? anything I might have missed to try and get the system to work with the 4Gb ?

Hi, I have attached pic's of the BIOS. I also checked to make sure all 4 were the same voltage, etc and they are. Also matched pairs, that checks out as well. As I can only upload 5 pics at a time I will add the DRAM info in another mail, after this one.

Hopefully someone can see from the BIOS why I can't get all 4 chips working together :shrug:

Attachments

• BIOS 1.jpg
    BIOS 1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 115
  • BIOS 2.jpg
    BIOS 2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 115
  • BIOS 3.jpg
    BIOS 3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 117
  • BIOS 4.jpg
    BIOS 4.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 113
  • BIOS 5.jpg
    BIOS 5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 112
Here are the DRAM bios pics, for the above issue. Hopes this will help with the 4Gb issue.

Attachments

• DRAM 2.jpg
    DRAM 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 111
  • DRAM 1.jpg
    DRAM 1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 113
Bump the NB Voltage by +0.100, increase FSB Voltage by +0.05, reset all DRAM sub-timings to AUTO (leave the 4 primary timings set to 5-5-5-18), reset the CPU GTL Ref. Voltages to AUTO, manually set FSB(Bsel) To NorthBridge Latch to 1066, DDR2 Enhance Mode to Disabled, Change CPU Voltage from +0.125 to +0.100, disable Intel SpeedStep tech and manually set the multiplier to 9. And if you haven't already, you really should check out the thread I linked you to over at XS. Also post the VID of your chip (Realtemp--> "Settings" page--> Max. VID).

Last edited:
Yee Har ! That last info worked. Couldn't believe it hadn't hung, so I'm up and running with 4Gb. Let memtest run for an hour, all working O.K. Thanks for all your help with this. Great to be up and going again. Once again thanks for your help. :beer:

I am having a similar problem with my I45 and an E8400. I cannot get Vista to install. I always can get to the "Windows is loading files" screen then after that the background graphics pop-up along with a cursor(sometimes with the hourglass). Anyway after about a minute or so the cursor will always freeze and then the PC will reboot. It will continue to do this and I can't proceed with the install. The installation start screen never shows up. Actually I have gotten past this screen twice in the past 4 days (after what seemed like a 1000 restarts). When I do get to the point where it is actually expanding and installing the files, the PC does it's first required restart. After that all I have gotten is a black screen. The PC will reboot yet again and then I get the safe command prompts. The install never finishes.

I have tried using one RAM stick, changed AHCI to IDE and about a hundred (not literally) other BIOS changes and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions for me please?? Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention that I have been able to install Windows 7 without any problems. I have used builds 7000 up to build 7077 and they all worked perfectly. It's just Vista that's giving me major problems.

Last edited:
Back