• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new here, DDR3 2000mhz ram vs 1800mhz ram, which one???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

This is my 1st post here, I hope to learn, so one day I can help others with the knowledge I learn here and give back to these forums. I'm building a new desktop slooooowwwwlllly, starting with basic components aka hdd, case, psu, and getting the specific compatibility stuff later on as I accumulate money. This is my 1st ever build. I've owned a old Hp Pavillion athlon xp computer, a dell e1705 notebook, and a Hp tx 2500z (which I luv) tablet.

Anyway heres's my question how does ddr3 1800mhz compare to DDR3 2000mhz??? Can the core i7 920/motherboard make use of the extra speed or is it bottlenecked? I want a bloodrage motherboard. I want one of these 2 sets of ram 3 times this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148186

or

one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227379

I would say getting either one is fine but run them at 1600 and titen the timings or performance will suffer in games and encoding.

why 1600mhz??? should i get something cheaper then? how would i tighten the timings, is there a guide? Also thx for the reply.

for core i7 there is really no sense in getting DDR3-2000 unless you are a benchmarking junky. The core i7 architecture is so efficient when i comes to memory that you would not be able to tell the difference between ddr3-1600 and ddr3-2000. So i would just get some good clocking DDR3-1600.

the timings are all dependent on the retailer. and the clock speed

higher speed = looser timings.

some IC's are just soooo good that they can go tighter than what they are rated @

To test just lower 1 timing down , and run memtest. if you fail raise it back up and try another.

The first link you posted is the ram that i had but i had 6gb of it. That ram is not made for i7. I can attest to that as well because i ran the crucial sticks at 1.9 volt for roughly a month and it started to blow out DDR channels on my mother board. make sure you get DDR3 sticks that are rated for 1.65v and below.

why 1600mhz??? should i get something cheaper then? how would i tighten the timings, is there a guide? Also thx for the reply.

If you buy the fastest you can afford lower the speed in bios and tighten the timings until you start getting errors and the loosen them a hair I guarantee it will run circles around the 1866 or 2000 here in the real world as there is no processor for sale in the desktop capable of using all that bandwidth.

Last edited:
ya my selection changed cuz of core i7 boards limit of 1.65v, so anything faster, like ddr3 1800 or 2000 is too highly volted.

That are very expensive... Get some G.Skill 1600Mhz and they overclock ok, I haven't done alot on tightening the timings yet though. It beats 9-9-9-24 1800Mhz ram at 1740Mhz 9-9-9-20 and is only at 1.58V.
Here is my benchmark from sandra:

SiSoftSandramemoryGSKillOC.png

Back