• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATX 12volt P4 adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

montano

Registered
I have an Antec 400w power supply(non P4), and recently purchased a Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra, a 1.9Ghz P4, and a stick of
Kingmax 256 DDR 2700. I want to know if the 12volt P4 power adapter is safe to use, instead of buying a new power supply. I would hate to have something short out after spending a few hundred dollars!! :D

Well if you're antec psu has the correct connector then you should be ok...you're not modding a connector to fit in are you? Also, its 400watts so it should be enough power...

If I were you I'd grab the model number off it and head over to antec's website and check the specs to double check its p4 compliant. Or post the model number here and see if anyone else is using it on a p4.

Mike

Don't P4 P/S's have a second 4-pin square plug? I thought that that was rather essentail. I could be wrong of course but I know that the plug can't be used on an AMD mobo. Just a thought. :)

as far as i know it should be. The motherboard connector just needs extra 12V juice that a regualar molex can proved, it just is the wrong shape. I am 95% sure you will be fine. If its a professional product(i.e. Not home made) then it will work.

To clear things up, a non-P4 power supply does not have the square 4-pin 12v connector. However you can buy an adapter that plugs into the hard drive power plug, and then will plug into the square 12 volt plug on the motherboard. This is what I am referring to. Will this provide a stable 12 volts that the P4 requires?

If it is required for the mobo to be used safely and without problem (which I think P4 mobo's do need this), it would be best if you did get a P/S that had this or the adapter that you spoke of. It would be taking a chance with the equipment you just purchased and to buy an adapter for even $10, would be much cheaper than having to buy all new components.

Back