• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Bestbuy ripoffs...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwraith94

ok first of all, BB is for regular simple, i dont know what computer is for kind of people, we online "geeks" should shot online

i personally work for Geek Squad, if you know better place buy it online, we are there for the people who need us..not for everyone

ok first of all, BB is for regular simple, i dont know what computer is for kind of people, we online "geeks" should shot online

i personally work for Geek Squad, if you know better place buy it online, we are there for the people who need us..not for everyone

Agree.

Geek Squad is there so Best Buy can hit their numbers....it's a complete rip off. I know people that work at Best Buy - and they hate to even recommend telling somebody they need to spend $75 to have Geek Squad come and set up their universal remote. Oh wait, how about the Xbox 360 optimization?? LMfao.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the rip-off prices of your in-store items. Not the rip-off prices of your services. We understand your services are meant to rip-off the common folk who have no idea that spending 750 dollars on a laptop repair doesn't make much sense....but the common folk isn't going to buy a 9800 GX2 ;)

I just did a complete revamp of a pc that was owned by a Geek Squad employee, let's just say I was speachless at the incompetence.

One example is he used more than an entire packet of white thermal paste, so much TIM came out the sides it took me an hour to clean the heatsink and the mobo, that was just one issue I had to fix. Geek Squad has some people that are better than good at what they do, but this guy had no business near a computer.

yesterday when I asked the GS tech about the DDR2, I also asked him what speed it was.

His response verbatim "uh.... do you mean the pc speed?"

"......." "yes the PC speed"

"uhhhh.... umm, oh its 667 speed it says it right here"

"gimme it, no that is speeds it is compatible with, it is PC6400 aka DDR2-800"

"oh"

"Glad to see that GS has really stepped up their hiring practices, did you get the job because you found the power button first or last?"

Best Buy GS is still a joke most of a decade after I quit working for Best Buy, it is still staffed by the people who know enough to be dangerous but not enough to question the use of certain tactics to get a sale.

ok i am sorry but i completely disagree.

comeplete NOOBLETs can figure out newegg, its not a complicated site, its a heck of alot cheaper (although there are cheaper out there) and if you get a bad part they are more than willing to help out, replace it and/or give you a refund.

I was denied a job at BB 10 years ago because I didnt have my A+ certification (I was like 18 or 19). Needless to say they werent any better back then.

BestBuy reminds me of my MMORPG games, where some of the players try to sell certain items at 2-3x the normal price, and the only ppl who buys those items are the ones who didn't know better and didn't look around enough to realize they just got ripped off.. LOL

BestBuy reminds me of my MMORPG games, where some of the players try to sell certain items at 2-3x the normal price, and the only ppl who buys those items are the ones who didn't know better and didn't look around enough to realize they just got ripped off.. LOL

i call them
Noobs

Guys, what do you expect?

Follow these two rules on ANYTHING and you will be better off.

1. Don't ask for advice from somebody who makes minimum wage or close to it. They probably know less than you do.

2. Don't ask anybody for advice who works on commission.

Doing either of the above is like walking into a Ford dealer and asking whether you should buy a Focus or a Corolla.

i thought Best Buy didn't work off commission anymore, either way they can give you some horrid advice.

Best Buy isn't commission and hasn't been for at least 9 years that I know of. But they got to try to sell as many of there service plans possible otherwise they will get moved to cashier or canned.

They sell there products at MSRP... no if or ands about it. Its not like they sell alot but if you need something NOW it is there and that is where they get you with there prices on certain items.

And GS don't get me started, hell even computer department, when I was hired I said I'd like to be in there computer service department (not GS at the time) or computer department. They said I didn't have the qualifications for it..... yeah a little certificate saying ooh i was paying attention in class. I was rather ****ed about that back then but I wasn't there for a really long period of time since the whole store I was at lacked any logical place at putting people in departments or when people should of been fired.

2. Don't ask anybody for advice who works on commission.

Thats crap dude. It depends on the type of person. I had a small commission base for a while at my job, if people asked me what would fit there needs better most of the time the cheaper would work better.

Now that honest. If your honest people will get turned to you and you will make more money.

I suppose the employees are only as good as the managers allow them to be. In most cases I've heard (corpsejockey was in the noob squad), the store manager or your immediate boss would push you so hard to make a sale that you either pull a con or prepare to be fired soon.

I suppose the employees are only as good as the managers allow them to be. In most cases I've heard (corpsejockey was in the noob squad), the store manager or your immediate boss would push you so hard to make a sale that you either pull a con or prepare to be fired soon.

Yup that exists... Everything is numbers to them. Probably a little more lax now with the way the economy is as well there direct competitor Circuit City is out of business.

Back