• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I lost my paypal dispute today as a seller for an 4870 1GB I shipped : (

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pauld5999

ugh, I gotta vent somewhere so here it goes (hope this is ok section for this, paypal is a vendor and that who i am really mad at)....

like the title says, I got the offical lost notice today from paypal for an ongoing dispute over a 4870 1GB GPU.

I sold it to a guy in Canada via ebay, he used paypal to pay for the card.

I mailed the card to him within 2 days of payment (little longer than normal for me, I communicated with him the entire time though). After mailing the card I sent an email saying it was on it's way and provided photos of my postal receipt.

14 days from the day it was sent the buyer opened the dispute and paypal of course yanked the money right out of my account. buyer never contacted me directly.

I followed all the proper steps in the resolution center but the kicker is that I did not get any actual tracking info for the package. I do not ship internationally very often at all (this was the first time actually for something of this value) so I was not sure what way to send it so I brought it to the post office and asked to ship it with delveriy confirmation (just like I do for all my dosmestic packages) and the postal employee did not really say anything, processed the transaction and gave me my receipt. I did not think to really look at it before I left and that is where I screwed myself. It was sent international first class, which it turns out is in no way trackable.

All the receipt had on it was the customs form number which after a few calls to the post office inquiry center I found out does not mean anything.

Buyer still says the package never arrived (shipped 1/24/09) and since I have no proof it was delivered paypal found in favor of him.

so either it is really lost out there somewhere or the buyer saw the opportunity to scam me and took it...either way now I am out $210.

I hate how my spotless record means nothing to paypal. Shouldn't the fact that I have tons of other completley positive transactions in my account mean something? many with much higher dollar value than this one?

at least I learned a lesson, stick to the classifieds! Oh and I guess I learned to be better educated on internatinal shipping but more so just stick to the classifieds.

btw, in the the time it has taken to resolve this issue I have successfully shipped 2 packages to Canada, both to memebers here through classifieds listings....

/vent.

Last edited:
You should not be responsible if the buyer didn't pick up insurance (I am not sure if international insurance is even available).

You should not be responsible if the buyer didn't pick up insurance (I am not sure if international insurance is even available).

I agree completley but paypal decides soley on proof of delivery, of which I have none : (

what really irkes me is that the USPS can not even contact Canada to tell me if the package even made it out of the country, I really can not believe that no one keeps a record of the customs form number at the Canadian customs. USPS tells me with the shipoing method I used (direct quote here) "they are not required to initate an inquiry into the location of the package". not even saying they can't, just that they are not required!

at least I learned a lesson, stick to the classifieds! Oh and I guess I learned to be better educated on internatinal shipping but more so just stick to the classifieds.

The lesson here should be to ALWAYS get the tracking number. FedEx or UPS, even if they are more expensive, and never ever use USPS. At least that's how I do it..

Looks like more of "the lesson here don't use egay" lol

sry you got screwed on both ends...

Call up PayPal, they are a lot more sympathetic and less robotic this way. Explain your situation, and they may help you out.

Call up PayPal, they are a lot more sympathetic and less robotic this way. Explain your situation, and they may help you out.

I would say it's too late for that now, they already found him responsible and yanked his money. They won't reverse it now.

Sorry to hear you got screwed, lost money and the card that's a double whammy! I have had a few dealing to and from Canada and they have all been nail biters and have taken a long time both ways.

Even if classified here or through non Ebay transactions ALWAYS ALWAYS pay for tracking (or delivery confirmation) no matter what it is.

Looks like more of "the lesson here don't use egay" lol

sry you got screwed on both ends...

agreed! thanks.

thanks for the tip, can't hurt to try...

I would say it's too late for that now, they already found him responsible and yanked his money. They won't reverse it now.

Sorry to hear you got screwed, lost money and the card that's a double whammy! I have had a few dealing to and from Canada and they have all been nail biters and have taken a long time both ways.

thank you

Even if classified here or through non Ebay transactions ALWAYS ALWAYS pay for tracking (or delivery confirmation) no matter what it is.

I agree, by the way, thanks for sending me the tracking info for the fan!

Realize, also, that there IS the possibility that the buyer never received the card. Handoffs between USPS and Canadian post (or any other foreign post) aren't always done in an orderly fashion. Heck--I don't know how long it's been, but your buyer might actually get your card--next year.

But yes, always get a tracking number, even if only shipping domestically. USPS is total FAIL for actually taking care of your packages. It's a government owned business manned by union laborers. Workers there have no profit incentive. They get paid no matter how much work they can get out of. Double FAIL. I remember asking a USPS clerk for 3-day delivery for a package for the extra fee. I asked the clerk if that was GUARANTEED three day delivery. "Well, it usually gets to the destination in about 3 days, but there is no guarantee." I told him to forget that load of crap. I'll send it by the cheapest means possible and it often gets to where its supposed to be just as quickly.

You really need to have a tracking number for international orders ... I once had a shipment held in customs for over a month. It was partially my fault though as I attempted to save the guy tax and wrote on the form "gift" with the value of "$30" while it was clearly worth much more

You should not be responsible if the buyer didn't pick up insurance

It is not the buyer's responsibility to make sure the package gets to them. The seller is paid for shipping costs, and it is their responsibility to get the item to them in the stated condition. A buyer should never pay for insurance, that is a trick sellers use.

Tracking, or Delivery Confirmation (For USPS) is REQUIRED for all transactions, PERIOD. I highly recommend USPS, I use it for all of my shipments, and Delivery Confirmation is FREE if you print your label online(Priority Mail required). I ship quite a few items a day, and have never had anyone say they didn't receive their package (Priority Mail + Delivery Confirmation). Shipping to Canada can get expensive, I don't think you can get delivery confirmation until you purchase air mail.

In this case, your reputation means nothing, because the package could have been lost, you don't even know yourself. It's an expensive lesson, but now there's nothing to do but move on. Sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted.

Realize, also, that there IS the possibility that the buyer never received the card. Handoffs between USPS and Canadian post (or any other foreign post) aren't always done in an orderly fashion. Heck--I don't know how long it's been, but your buyer might actually get your card--next year.

Yep. I bought something from a US member here and it took 2 months to arrive through USPS. Sometimes things either get lost in the shuffle when shipping from US to Canada, or customs holds a package for whatever reason (I've heard of this happening with high dollar items), and because of this, the item takes a long time to be delivered.

The lesson here should be to ALWAYS get the tracking number. FedEx or UPS, even if they are more expensive, and never ever use USPS. At least that's how I do it..

Most Canadians loathe using UPS or FedEx when receiving a package from the US, and it's hard to find anyone who would agree to it. Both companies charge obscene Brokerage fees along with tax, while USPS charges a flat $5 + tax.

Last edited:

The usps insurance would not work. It only insures items in US, after it crosses border the job goes to other carrier.

You got custom number which is actually trackable. You can check if item went through customs.

Most Canadians loathe using UPS or FedEx when receiving a package from the US, and it's hard to find anyone who would agree to it. Both companies charge obscene Brokerage fees along with tax, while USPS charges a flat $5 + tax.

You are wrong dead wrong. it has nothing to do with UPS or Fedex. Its the Canadian Government. They are really the only country to do this. The reason they tax so high, or the idea behind it is, to keep Canadians working. They want all the stuff to be made there. Keep everything with in the country.

Tracking, or Delivery Confirmation (For USPS) is REQUIRED for all transactions, PERIOD. I highly recommend USPS, I use it for all of my shipments, and Delivery Confirmation is FREE if you print your label online(Priority Mail required). I ship quite a few items a day, and have never had anyone say they didn't receive their package (Priority Mail + Delivery Confirmation). Shipping to Canada can get expensive, I don't think you can get delivery confirmation until you purchase air mail.

Yet you still shipping them wrong. If no one wants to get screwed by paypal get signature required with USPS. Delivery Confirmation means nothing as package could have been delivered next door, left on a hallway, stolen after delivery or buyer exploit that you didn't get one.

its also possible that someone at usps (employee) stole your package
is there any signature confirmation that usps does? i know fedex and ups off that service, but idk if usps offers it

You are wrong dead wrong. it has nothing to do with UPS or Fedex. Its the Canadian Government. They are really the only country to do this. The reason they tax so high, or the idea behind it is, to keep Canadians working. They want all the stuff to be made there. Keep everything with in the country.

I think you misread my post although I should have been clearer. The tax is not the reason why Canadians don't like using UPS or FedEx to ship. UPS, FedEx and USPS/Canada Post will charge the same tax (based on Federal GST @ 5% + Provincial tax), but UPS and FedEx add a much higher brokerage fee to the package as their fee to clear customs while USPS/Canada Post charges a flat $5.00 regardless of the package's value.

Here is UPS' Rates for Customs Clearance.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

I think you misread my post although I should have been clearer. The tax is not the reason why Canadians don't like using UPS or FedEx to ship. UPS, FedEx and USPS/Canada Post will charge the same tax (based on Federal GST @ 5% + Provincial tax), but UPS and FedEx add a much higher brokerage fee to the package as their fee to clear customs while USPS/Canada Post charges a flat $5.00 regardless of the package's value.

Here is UPS' Rates for Customs Clearance.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Ok I got you. You also have to figure in time and risk. If you use Fedex express its gonna get there. May cost more but it will get there. If you use any Fedex express the broker fees are built into the cost of shipping the package.

I remember going to fedex to ship an item to canada and they wanted like $50 because they only offer next day service to there, when i went to usps it was only a couple of bucks

Back