• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with changing Motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GMdoubleG

Hello all. I recently acquired a new Gigabyte EP45-UD3P MoBo and I am switching it out for my Gigabyte P35-DS3R. My questions are since I am switching MoBos, am I going to have to reinstall Vista even though it is the same brand build? Secondly, all of my files (music, movies, etc) are on a separate HDD, will I need to transfer them to an external drive and reformat my HDD on the new MoBo? Or will I be able to just plug in the HDD into the new board and the files will be recognized the same? The HDD will the files does not have the OS on it, only data files. Thanks

Hello all. I recently acquired a new Gigabyte EP45-UD3P MoBo and I am switching it out for my Gigabyte P35-DS3R. My questions are since I am switching MoBos, am I going to have to reinstall Vista even though it is the same brand build? Secondly, all of my files (music, movies, etc) are on a separate HDD, will I need to transfer them to an external drive and reformat my HDD on the new MoBo? Or will I be able to just plug in the HDD into the new board and the files will be recognized the same? The HDD will the files does not have the OS on it, only data files. Thanks

Your files should be fine without reformatting your data drive.

As for the reinstall of your OS because of switching boards, you may
or may not have to, the only way to know is to try. For sure you'll be
re-activating though.

Back