• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help me with memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mosleypup

Registered
im a little confused as to how my memory is setup
i currently have 4 gig of ocz pc2 8500 certified to run @ 1066
now
am i right in saying that your memory runs at whatever your fsb is set to ?
my e8500 is clocked @ 4.0 with the fsb @ 421 @ 9.5 multi
on cpuz my memory is @ 526.3 @ 4:5 fsb to dram
if i i leave my fsb @ 333 standard i will get 1066 on the mem, then when the fsb is increased the mem freq increases too. am i right in saying that i need to set my mem freq at a happy medium closest to 1066 ? that being 526.3mhz x 2 =1052.6 that being close to 1066

have i grasped this correctly or have i completely missed it ?
im about to add another 4 gigs tomorrow

any help / advise / making my understanding of this would be very very much appreciated

thanks

At an FSB of 421MHz, using a 4:5 divider (266/667 NB Strap), the resulting DRAM frequency is 1052MHz when set to AUTO. If you lower the FSB to the default of 333MHz, the BIOS automatically adjusts the ratio to 5:8 (333/1066 NB Strap) to keep the DRAM frequency as close to 1066MHz as possible (in this case 1065MHz) without going over.

There is no hard and fast rule that says you need to keep the DRAM frequency at or below what it's rated at. The majority of overclockers are not only interested in achieving the highest clock speed, but also the highest possible DRAM frequency w/ whatever RAM they're using. In your specific case at an an FSB of 421 MHz, the best divider / ratio to use is what it's set at currently... 4:5. So by taking the NB Strap (DRAM Speed) setting off of AUTO, and specifying it manually, you can dictate at what speed to run the RAM in relation to the FSB. Of course at the current 421MHz, you couldn't use a DRAM Speed of 5:8 (DRAM freq = 1347MHz), 2:3 (DRAM freq. = 1263), etc., but you could use a 5:6 ratio (DRAM freq. = 1010MHz); well under the deafult frequency.

And if you haven't already, you might want to check out this sticky at the top of the Intel forum, because it goes into a lot more detail in as far as memory ratio's / DRAM frequency...

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.7
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Last edited:
Back