• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA screwed me Classified step up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgoode

I bought an EVGA x58 board TR from newegg with the intention of upgrading to classifed board. Well classified board came out and I got an email from them stating that the TR version is not available for step-up!! WTF!!

This is my first and last EVGA board. Dont get the TR version!!

Does the package say somewhere that you can step it up? Or did you just assume wrongly and think it's their fault?

No where does it say that . I actually sent them and email about it on Feb 25 before the classified was released:

"Answered By Andrew M (2/26/2009 1:58:37 PM): Hello Mike, Because currently no board exists that the X58 can step-up to. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us. Thanks, -EVGA Tech Support Team"

That led me to believe that when the Classified was released i would be able to step -up.

Last edited:
You should be able to step-up. I would call them back and explain the situation. You got the X58 board that only has the 2 year warranty right? As far as i know the only difference between the old x58 boards was the warranty and this should have no effect on the step-up process. But just call EVGA and be nice to them and i guarantee that you will be able to step-up.

They said no step-up even though I ponted them to a link on their own site which says you can step up if the motherbaoard has the same socket.

FAQ ID # 58290
Last Update : 2008/12/12
Rating : Not Rated

Send FAQ by E-mail
Add to favorites
Print this FAQ
Social Bookmark this Article :

Question / Issue

Can i step up from a 775 Socket motherboard to a 1366 Socket Corei7 motherboard?

Answer / Solution

No, the stepup program in regards to motherboards only allows stepups to occur within the same CPU socket.
Direct Link to This FAQ

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/?f=58290

I done with EVGA, board is going to the classies.

Can't you return it then? I heard lucid hydra is coming this year onto X58, which will eat up any other X58 setup out there (might only be on the Intel Smackover)

Unless I'm missing something, or a detail not laid out in the post, EVGA didn't screw you, you screwed yourself.
You got told "currently no board exists that the X58 can step-up to", and "the stepup program in regards to motherboards only allows stepups to occur within the same CPU socket.". You assumed that meant you would be able to be able to step-up to the classified one. But right from the main page of the step-up program, it says.
"Please note that because of the limited quantities of some products, not all EVGA products are available for step-up."
You assumed you could step-up to the classified version, and you can't. Again, that's not you getting screwed by EVGA, that's your own assumptions causing you to screw yourself.

Your right, I should have read every page of the EVGA site before I bought the board:)

I sold the the board and got over it.

Back