• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get 1600 on a Asus P5Q3 Deluxe mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jack54

Registered
How do I get DRAM Frequency : [DDR3-1600MHz] with my Asus P5Q3 Deluxe mobo? I'm not familar with OC'ing the Asus mobo as I was using the evga 780i before this. My memory is: 4 x 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance 8GB DDR3 DDR3 1600

Do I run all four, or just two in the orange slots for OC'ing?

The rest of my specs are in my sig.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what you need 8GB of memory for, but try two sticks in the outside slots first. You will need to increase your FSB frequency. From there your CPU will start to overclock, and you should see different options for RAM frequency. You may need to switch your RAM settings to Manual in BIOS if you haven't done that already.
Make sure timings and DRAM voltage are set to run 1600 b4 you actually start the OC. As a nice mild overclock that shouldn't be too hard to achieve, I would work my way up in 50MHz increments to 400MHz. That will give you 3.4GHz on the CPU at max multi and a nice even divider for the RAM to run at 1600MHz. Not sure how your BIOS works, but mine gives options for RAM frequencies based on what FSB I have chosen.
You will need to add a little CPU and northbridge Voltage to run that overclock stable.

As an example, I have that CPU on a GA-X48 board. For 8.5x450FSB = 3825MHz , I have my Vcore at 1.35v, and the NB voltage up a couple of notches since the FSB is now running at 1800MHz. The FSB VTT is up ~1.3v and my GTLREFs are set to -40mv.
You shouldn't need as much voltage increase or tweaking of auxiliary settings to reach the 3.4GHz I mentioned above though.

Last edited:
I think you need a FSB of 400Mhz like baditude said to get a perfect ratio for memory, also make sure the voltages for memory and timings are correct.

This will also overclock the cpu, so if it fails try to raise the Vcore, 1.36 will be plenty and NB to around 1.3V. What cpu cooler will you be using?

My cooling is with the Antec 900 case and thermaltake ruby orb cooler.
They are staying below 60C under load.
Question? Can my DDR3 1600 ram be pushed past 1600Mhz? Like to 1701Mhz by increasing the ram voltage from 1.8 to 2.0 or so? That is what 450 FSB was trying to do and when I tried it at 1.9V my system crashed and I had to pull the battery to get it started again. Then I got the 21,332 score by backing off to 425 FSB and ram set at 1501, can't seem to get exactly 1600?
Voltages -- CPU Voltage [1.36250]
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(0/2) [Auto]
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(1/3) [Auto]
CPU PLL Voltage [1.54]
FSB Termination Voltage [1.22]
DRAM Voltage [1.70]
NB Voltage [1.28]
NB GTL Reference [Auto]
SB Voltage [1.40]
PCIE SATA Voltage [Auto]

21332.gif

Short answer is yes. But it depends on the RAM and you most likely won't have to add .2v to do it.
My RAM will overclock 100MHz without increasing voltage or timings at all, but I have very good chips.
You may have to bump up your timings by at least 1 and you may have to increase your DIMM voltage by ~.1v(maybe .2v). You have to try it to know, but that is a relatively small overclock for that RAM.

Back