• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I monitor Ram temprature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Settle down. I dont think he meant it that way considering that was my first thought as well seeing as how there is no software available which you did not know about and what you came here to ask.

Last edited:
I use use my fingers. Seriously... I had some OCZs i couldnt touch for more than 2 secs..

Take it easy on the guy. He just joined today, he will be here for a week and leave or get a nice ban.

I use use my fingers. Seriously... I had some OCZs i couldnt touch for more than 2 secs..

heck yes! I have a fan blowing on my ram. rated at 2.2V got it running at 2.3 cause of OC and it runs warm but not hot.

Wasn't meant as an offence as all!

qq less (that's no offence either)!

So there is no software for ram monitoring?

How come there is for CPU but not ram?

:D

b/c the CPU has sensors built in to it that the bios reads and therefore software reads while ram does not.

**waits for a "smart ***" comment being tossed at me** ;)

Take it easy on the guy. He just joined today, he will be here for a week and leave or get a nice ban..
We are. I could have not replied or told him to shove it. Instead I said settle down. :beer:

SEE?!?!?!!! :beer:

But I spoke the truth. Thats exactly why there isnt software monitoring of ram. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that one. ;)

you can buy one of those digital thermals with the plastic sensor tip, take the heatspreader off and then paste it in the middle =p

i havnt tried it and its only a random suggestion

Be careful taking the heatspreaders off if you do, theres a lot of horror stories, EG ram chips coming off with the heatspreader.

Ram doesn't get hot enough to matter. The heatspreaders that come with it are not even necessary. It's just all about the eye candy and the epeen.

My brother's Pentium-D case would beg to argue with you. Oddly enough the RAM slots on his system actually do have temperature sensors. Under gaming load they get to ~43C, but they're running at like 2.1V so..

Mine usually hover around 30C max with an IR thermometer at 1.9V.

My brother's Pentium-D case would beg to argue with you. .

Every rule has it's exceptions, but by and large, ram does not need cooling, and it's temperature is not something worth monitoring, save for those amongst us for which the OCD demands it.

I do not advocate removing heatspreaders for the reasons JamesXP mentioned. They don't hurt anything, I just don't think there's much point in considering them "functional"

My OCZ Platinum is warm to the touch. I do not lose any sleep over it. I have a fan set (came with it free) I could put on it, but I don't.

Every rule has it's exceptions, but by and large, ram does not need cooling, and it's temperature is not something worth monitoring, save for those amongst us for which the OCD demands it.

I do not advocate removing heatspreaders for the reasons JamesXP mentioned. They don't hurt anything, I just don't think there's much point in considering them "functional"

My OCZ Platinum is warm to the touch. I do not lose any sleep over it. I have a fan set (came with it free) I could put on it, but I don't.

Yeah I agree that it's not worth paying attention to for the most part. I was pointing out that if you have a particularly hot-running system in a smallish case it might be a good idea to look into active cooling, or at least making sure that the chips have basic heatspreaders (not that it's necessary to have the crazy OCZ/Corsair tower ram coolers unless you're overclocking them well beyond normal speeds and voltages). At the very least heatspreaders make normal case cooling more effective by creating more surface area to catch airflow.

Back