• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr2 1066 on a board that may not support it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaderaven

Registered
I have an Asus p5n-d motherboard, and I want to buy some ddr2 1066 ram.
This board officially supports 800mhz at max, but I have personally seen this same board use the same ram I am buying, but there is some manual setup required. Does anyone know what that manual setup entails? How to do it?

rated 1066 will work fine as long as the voltage at 800 meets MOBO specs and it should.

Years ago I blew out an old AMD XP board by putting PC3200 in a board rated for PC2700. When I called support they told me the board should have handled it, but should have and didn't are the key operative words. Now, understand those were the days when the memory controller was on the mobo, but still I'd be careful about voltage draw.

R7 :beer:

Years ago I blew out an old AMD XP board by putting PC3200 in a board rated for PC2700. When I called support they told me the board should have handled it, but should have and didn't are the key operative words. Now, understand those were the days when the memory controller was on the mobo, but still I'd be careful about voltage draw.

R7 :beer:
I've never really worried about the risks so far and its all turned out pretty good... I mean whats the worst that could happen? :O

Ahh well skrew it ill go for it.

Back