• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR RAM PRICES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j0hnsm1th

Jesus christ, how expensive are these things?

On ebay, 2GB of DDR2 ram is £29.99 inc. P&P
and for 1 GB of DDR, its £24.99 "
wtf is going on why is this? is it a rarity issue?

That sounds a bit high but not completely unreasonable... DDR isn't the popular kid anymore. Most of the focus is on DDR2 which is now shifting to DDR3.

DDR costs more money to produce than DDR2, that was one of the benefits of DDR2 over DDR. DDR3 should be cheaper in a year or two.
Also, DDR isn't in a high demand anymore.

The price you pay for old hardware that still has a use. Once ddr1 has little use to anyone the price will go down to nothing. Now it's a supply and demand deal, there is still quite a bit of demand for ddr1 (not like ddr2 but still there) to give people a little boost on an old pc and it's no longer manufactured (as far as I know as it hasn't been put in a new pc since socket 939)

^^^ bingo, think of people with old rigs or servers, they want new ram, ram maker wants them to buy the new stuff, they either want you to pay more for old or say screw it and buy all new stuff.

^^^
That and consumer resellers know that DDR will fetch higher prices relatively due to the decreased supply. Even in the classifieds 2x1GB of DDR1 will be priced higher than 2x1GB of DDR2 simply because it's harder to find these days.

^^^^^ Plus the Pound is seriously weak at the moment and with VAT at 15% there all in a sly way putting everything up plus there's the fact DDR1 has been taken over by DDR2 as stated. DDR3 won't take over DDR2 for at least 2 more years when timings get tighter and prices fall yet there is still a number of people using DDR1 machines.

I know loads to be honest quite a few people on 939 and 775 that use DDR1 memory plus there's 478 from INTEL that uses DDR1 and Socket A. Point also is Ebay is kinds of expensive I was looking for 1GB DDR400 PC3200 today myself for a Sk 754 system I was going to build. I've decided to sell the motherboard and Sempron and try to get a low end INTEL machine or AM2 machine DDR2 is just too low.

Back