• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus RAMPAGE II GENE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
just got off the phone with xPCgear, seems they have a few in-stock, just came in today.
http://www.xpcgear.com/asus-rampage-ii-gene-micro-atx-motherboard-intel-core-i7-x58.html
the price isnt bad either compared to the DFI X58-JR board. im tring to make up my mind about which one to get. i was hoping to get the DFI but the day i got my Tax return they went OSS at newegg. talking with the guy on the phone about why xpcgear doesnt carry DFI is do to limited stock of motherboards? i was touch confused by that since DFI has some good boards and pretty popular as well.

didn't see that, looks like the first run bios is good as is... thanks! :soda:

ok, so i placed my order with xPCgear, hope they can ship me one!! got tired of waiting for the X58JR, waiting for 3wks now...

for those interested the xpcgear site has been updated.... they now show limited stock, get it while you can!!! soon as i get home i can see if my order shipped, to bad i wont be home till 7pm central.

Gene is here! woots!!!! i get to put it all together on the weekend... now one thing that didnt get mentioned in Asus's spec's. is that this board has mounting holes not only for its socket LGA1366 but also for LGA775. which is good news for me!! that means i can still use my ninja HS on the i7. this will help since im planing or tring to plan to build a custom case with WC'ing... if the case doesnt work out im still going to water for i7.

*edit*
from a post at xs, newegg now has Gene!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131371
not much price difference between newegg and xPCgear... i have no problems buying from xPC agian after this mobo buy.. esp since i read mixed reseller rating reviews...

Last edited:
I was liking the board too..but then came across this at XS

ASUS also have "SupremeFX X-Fi Onboard" printed on the box, but as you'll see in the gallery there's no Creative X-Fi chip (like the one used in the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude that we loved) anywhere on this mobo at all - just a sticker covering up what's really underneath.

We found it was the same ADI AD2000B chip used in the standard mobos. Turns out that the X-Fi functionality is emulated through software instead, offloading the work to the CPU.

Proof(pic) here

In no way I mean the board is bad, but just that this discovery makes me reconsider the DFI JR. I still feel DFI makes the best BIOSes around :)

well i dunno i got my board and the audio chip at the bottom isnt that shape more rectangular. mine does however have a X-fi on it , its silverish... i guess i need to take a pic of it... though i didnt buy the board for the supremeFX -xfi on it, DFI is still OSS at newegg now after a month. i have a feeling it wont be back in stock for a long time if ever...

well i dunno i got my board and the audio chip at the bottom isnt that shape more rectangular. mine does however have a X-fi on it , its silverish...
Like this ? Just peel off the X-Fi sticker :attn:

I hope the DFI JR is back with the newer X58 revision. Without the extra sound card, this ASUS isnt worth more than the DFI (unless that ROG label is soemthing )
Anyways do post some clocks. I may be wrong :santa:

well i didnt peel it off but i can see from the side the sticker makes it look bigger...

well i have gene mounted on the mobo tray. just waiting to get back home, atm on cell-ocf. should be testing later tonight.

hmm looks like Gene doesnt like the ocz 520... had to pull out my old old PCP 510DLX (pre-pcie) psu... oddly enough with just the 20pin and P4 connector it boots vs just a quick spin up on the ocz. well time to run dual psu's for a while, so i7 get the full 510DLX all the rest goes to the OCZ. least this way i got some breathing room...

I LUV U GENE!!

ok so really this has been my first Asus board since the CUSL2-C. what else can i say, this is just from 5-10mins if messing around.. C1E-disabled,EIST-disabled,LLC-enabled,CPUV-1.25,QPI-defualt/V, ram at spec speed/timings/voltage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/i7testing.jpg

even if i stay at the 3.4ghz that equals (using the low 16.7% per clock increase) a 3.9ghz core 2. i think i can live with that, ok so i got to get FAH running and rosie. then its off to bed, have to get up earlies for work..

*edit*
will be testing for highest BLK later saturday night..err well later tonight, LOL

What cooling you got ? Temps plz.
And you got a C2Q as well ? I would love to see some gaming comparisions :beer:

no i dont own a C2Q... its a ninja with 2 sanyo denkis, when i was running 8 single FAH clients temps hit 75c-78c on the cores. this was with the denkis on med speed which i think is feeding the fans 10v, they do 108cfm at 12v....... on the low speed about 7v i was seeing about 80c... i dont know prime95 temps since FAH/rosie will be running 24/7.... i should also say according to the ac control unit it was 66F in the house. my room is always the warmest so i would say closer to 70F...

well this is interesting to me... i have bios set to 1.25v for cpu voltage i did use LLC.. getting load temps with 8 wu's for rosetta runing that was 70-72c. i disabled LLC but cpuv now shows voltage at 1.21v and temps have now dropped to 65-69c. a small voltage drop for what seems like a rather large temp drop..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/crunchANDmunch.jpg

also i need to get the new bios, seems there is something wonky with the bios i have. as the latest one talks about sending some psu's into protection mode. that more then likly explains the issues i was having with my OCZ520 psu.. i now remember why i dont use/got the ocz520 in the first place... this DLX sounds like a jet...

Back