• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Upgrade Help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OutlawTruth

:bang head

I have a Velocity Micro e2250. It came with 4gb of Ram and is advertised as upgradeable to 8gb. I download CPU-Z to figure out what model # ram to order, and ordered the following:

Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048 PC2-6400C5.

It pretty much matches exactly what was already in the tower (only difference I've seen is the new RAM I ordered was 1.9v, instead of 1.8v). However when I install the RAM, the computer won't boot (it won't even get past the BIOS splash screen).

I've never overclocked before and a lot of the BIOS settings are greek to me. Does anybody have any experience with this, and if so, what should I set my BIOS to get all this RAM working?

Also, and somewhat unrelated, this particular system was advertised as being overclocked to 3.2ghz (it has a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, which is 2.6ghz stock). I'm not sure if this is the case, and how can I overclock the processor and still have the RAM run stable? Would I need to add cooling? (As far as I know the tower has excellent cooling, but again I have no experience overclocking and don't want to take any chances).

you may need to go into your bios and manually set the ram voltage to 1.9, also you may need to up your mch/northbridge voltage to help with the additional load from having all 4 slots filled with 2gb sticks.

What operating system are you running to use those 8gb?

I think the RAM voltage is already set to 1.9, and I upped a few notches even. Also I'm not sure what you mean by "mch/northbridge" voltage, or where to find it. I can tell you the motherboard is an ASUS P5N-D.

Also, I'm running Vista x64 (Home Premium).

Ok I tried upping the northbridge voltage with no luck. Default was auto so I'm not sure what it normally runs at. I'm getting close to giving up.

take yoiur two old sticks out and try running only the new sticks in the same slots as you were running the old ones. if that works, move those two sticks over into the unused slots to see if they work.

Back